Friday, August 05, 2005

Justifying The Cheaters


On my favorite online fantasy sport game, Jock$tocks, there was a good dialogue about steroid use and whether or not to believe the extremity of the accusations because of the source...namely the media. I had a few drinks late last night and came up with this response and I like it, so I will re-post it here...

Propaganda has run rampant...both for and against the whole steroid issue...

I'm the first to cast stones at the mainstream media... and am willing to see its willingness to exploit a non-story.... I will agree to all this....

But the entire steroid issue is not new... and I would argue that has not been exploited by the media... and if you think it has now...

Just think if all the doubt about Barry Bonds would actually come to fruition.. right now everyone...and I mean EVERYONE suspects his steroid use... but if undeniable evidence came forth that would even squelch the naysayers... the ramifications for the entire league would be astounding... I'm saying right now that the MLB is making a calculated effort to keep as much of the steroid use/abuse in the shadows as are the players.

Like or dislike the media, trust or distrust the reports... in the effort to expose or exploit this story, I don't think anyone can or should ignore or be ingorant of the fact what is ocurring...it is just a futile attempt for justification in something you don't want to believe. I find it hard to believe that the doubters of this sport still are grasping at anything they can... Don't believe the media, what's the player have to say... yet no player to date has offered any excuse other than 'not intentionally' or 'unknowingly' taken steroids... how convenient and how many times do we have to hear the same excuse and still accept it yet? I'm sorry.... those that want to pretend and hold out until undeniable guilt are exactly what the league and the CHEATERS themselves want... as long as they can continue to fool you .... they will... they will point their finger at your face and with a stern tone deny ever taking steroids and be offended at the mere mention that they did... but the truth is, they are lying right to your face so that they can pad their stats and be showered with accolades and praise. I'm sorry I won't buy it for one more second... go ahead and praise all the steroid boys you want too and boo and hiss me for not accepting their 'astounding' drug-induced stats...but the roid boys have done nothing to cast any doubt about their steroid use... and that includes Sosa...

Although I wish the league was as presteen (until proven otherwise) as some you hope it to be... I can not... I'm sorry....

I'm sorry... to be a 'fan' of the sport and hide behind the guise of the media is breaking the story and thus can't be trusted because the media can't be trusted...which I'm the first to admit I would adhere too...in this case is not applicable... the story has already been exposed by so many sources to merely say that I won't believe it, is really unfounded...it is merely an attempt to not want to believe it...

It has been tainted....

And I will post-script this message with this...

I do reside in the home town of Roger Maris, the only place his number is retired in his honor... I still, in my honost opinion view him as the single season homerun holder at 61....steroid free...until proven otherwise, that's how I see things.... McGwire, Sosa, Bonds... all deserve a big old asterisk... Maris donnned one for no reason and these guys all have some reason to do so...I freely admit this bias...but even in my own biased opinion, I think it has more validity than the reality today...

MLB is a farce, a charade and all those that want to buy into it.... step right up....make your points but until proven otherwise...there is no other homerun king that is substance free in my eyes and give me any evidence to prove me wrong and I'll be the right on board to join the bandwagon....

No comments: