Thursday, August 11, 2005

Goodbye Cable, Hello Direct TV

For several years I've contemplated getting rid of cable tv and switching to DirectTV...my wife was totally opposed to it because she didn't want to lose our local channels...about a year ago (or so) DirectTV started carrying the locals but for whatever reasons...probably just laziness...I still hadn't made the switch. Well, with the NHL tv deal apparently settled and going to Comcast cable - which my cable company is not affiliated with - was the final issue that had me making the switch. I reviewed the channel lineups and the pricing in the past and have no regrets about making this switch. For the same price I am getting approximately 100 more channels...sure I probably won't watch most of them like I don't watch most of my current cable channels now...but at least I know I won't miss out on the NHL and also have the option to subscribe to NHL Center Ice which will enable me to watch more hockey than I ever could before.

I am almost giddy to call my local cable company tomorrow to tell them that I want to discontinue my service with them and hope they ask why...and the reasons are simple... more channels for less money. Plus to have the options of getting NFL Sunday Ticket and NHL Center Ice, something cable isn't offering, are a big bonus as well. Plus, a cheaper route for me to watch even more sports is to subscribe to DTV's sports package which has every Fox Sports region...which almost all carry their regional NBA, MLB and NHL teams. I also am looking forward to getting a digital signal for all the channels, something my local cable company also was doing.

No comments: