Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Gates Signs 6 Year Deal

From Chargers.com:

The San Diego Chargers signed Pro Bowl tight end Antonio Gates to a new six-year contract, just one day after returning to the team. No other terms of the contract were disclosed.

“This was our goal from the beginning ... to sign him to a long-term contract,” said General Manager A.J. Smith. “Antonio has been a model representative for the team and we believe he has a tremendous future in this league.”

“I said yesterday that I was pretty sure something would get done, but I didn’t know it would get done this quickly,” said Gates. “I’m grateful to the Chargers for seeing potential in me two years ago and now for having faith in me and wanting me to be a part of this team for a long time.”

In just his second NFL season and second season on the football field since high school, Gates led the team with 81 receptions, 964 yards and 13 touchdowns, an NFL record for tight ends. He was also voted to the AFC Pro Bowl squad.

###

Well it looks like everything turned out as good I as hoped it could. Gates will miss the first regular season game, which sucks, but what can ya do... should mean he will be really fresh for that week 2 game at Denver. I think Gates, himself, had some words with his agent - especially after yesterday's contradicting statements from himself and his agent - that had his agent accepting a 6 year deal with the Chargers, against his previous statements that they were seeking just a 3 year deal.

I'm just glad that this final piece to the Chargers offense from last year is in place. The Chargers, on a whole, are fairly young and talented team that have laid the groundwork for many successful seasons to come...let's hope it materializes!

Go Chargers!

No comments: