Thursday, August 11, 2005

Charger Buzz Has Been Good - My Predictions

Well the buzz around the Chargers from most national sports writers has been pretty good so far... ESPN's John Clayton has this article detailing how Brees and Tomlinson both look more fit than they did last season. Rivers is struggling a bit in camp, but with Brees as the undisputed starter has some time to find his groove. And that Darren Sproles is 'electric' and will add an explosive element to the special teams of the Chargers.

Another Clayton article then goes on to detail the tough schedule that the Chargers have this season...which will either prove that they are truly a much improved team or that the 2004 season was a fluke. And if you haven't had a chance to look at the Charger schedule, take a look for yourself and by all appearances looks to be as tough as you can get for a NFL team.

Speaking of schedule, here's my prediction for the upcoming Charger season: I think winning the first 3 (Dallas, @Denver, Giants) is realistic. Denver, I think, will compete for the doormat of the AFC West. Plummer sucks and their wide receivers are old and fragile and then they sign Jerry Rice. Clarrett is already hurt. When Eli comes to San Diego it should hopefully be a slaughter with Eli being the slaughteree. The next 6 games (@NE, Pit, @Oak, @Phi, KC, @NYJ) before the bye is a tough stretch...4 away games against formidable teams. It would be nice to go 3 and 3 during this time and head into the bye at 6 and 3. I think Pittsburgh (and especially Rothlisberger) was a fluke more than any team last year. Kansas City I don't think has improved that much at all...if they did improve their defense, now their offense looks weak. The Jets have the Chargers number and it would be nice to get some redemption from last years playoff loss, but I won't count on it. Then the final 7 games (Buf, @Was, Oak, Miami, @Indy, @KC, Den) look to be more promising and I would like to see a 5 and 2 finish to end up 11-5. What's the deal with the Chargers having to go to Indianapolis two years in a row? Can't the Colts make a trip to San Diego? Seems a little unfair that the NFL schedules the Chargers to be on the road one of the better teams two years in a row...not to mention that last year the Chargers should have beaten the Colts and was the game that Manning broke the single season TD passing mark in...I've already grown tired of seeing that highlight.

Of course I would like to qualify my prediction with the following: Antonio Gates needs to be signed and playing. I think he is a huge part of the Charger offense and if he is not on the field it will cost the Chargers games. So hopefully he will get signed and into camp before the regular season starts and won't miss any games.

Just to wrap this up... my AFC West predictions:

1. Chargers - Reasons stated above.
2. Raiders - I think Moss is going to help and the Raiders could be in contention for a wild card, but don't have all the pieces to overthrow the reigning champs...at least not right now.
3. Chiefs - As stated above, may have improved their defense, but not enough and now I even question their offensive ability. Their wide receivers don't impress me and Holmes, since getting hurt 2 seasons ago, hasn't been as dominant as he once was.
4. Broncos - As long as Jake Plummer is their quarterback I feel no threat from the Broncos. Add to that the team looks as if it is actually worse than it was last year... I don't see them winning 6 games this year.

No comments: