Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Star Wars - Can It Get Any Worse?

The original Star Wars trilogy (episodes 4-6) was something I remember. The original Star Wars movie had played in our theatre for 30+ weeks before I could finally coax my parents into letting me have some money to go and watch it - they have seen a movie in a movie theatre maybe 3 times total and aren't movie buffs, to say the least. I, like most other 7 year-olds was instantly in love with this movie. It had it all and appealed to everyone at every level. Good guys were in white and Darth Vader was in black. Action, lasers, alien creatures and space ships - it's tough to ruin a movie with those elements for a child. Then came Empire Strikes Back, man it only gets better. The beginning of Empire, I say, to this day is a great way to begin a movie. This Star Wars series is only getting better and I, like the rest of the world, waited with great anticipation for Return Of The Jedi. And this is the beginning of the end... for the first half of Return of The Jedi the movie has great potential and then we are introduced to Ewoks and the movie goes downhill from that point. But all-in-all, the original trilogy is fantastic.

Then comes the second trilogy with Episode I leading the way. This movie was so unlikeable for those of us that remember the original trilogy on so many levels. I don't have to even mention the Jar-Jar Bings character, but needless to say, ruined any attempt at an interesting movie. Episode II, the Clone Wars was so bad that the release of the final installment was delayed until the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy ran it's course so that Lucas could grab all the headlines he can for this final grasp at respectability. Without seeing this movie, nor do I have any intention of doing so, I have little doubt that it will suck like the last two installments. But I am not saying anything that us 'old-timers' already know... that the last 2 Star Wars movie sucked and sucked badly.

So why I am compelled to point out the obvious? It's because there are apparently dorks that are in line to be the first to see the final installment RIGHT now and the movie isn't due to be released for another month. How can this be? After Episode I and II I wouldn't PAY to see the final installment. Who are these idiots? I understand that you have those, that since 1977 have had only Star Wars as their mate...and obviously love is blind because despite the crappiness of the last two installments they are willing to give the Star Wars franchise one more chance. Remembering back to the release of Episode I, I recall on tv hearing about fans that went to the movie multiple times in the first days and weeks...after seeing it once I just wonder how stupid these dorks are. These are the same type of people who have an infactuation with any person, movie, entity, etc. and regardless of how obscure these 'pop-culture' items become, they refuse to acknowledge the crappiness that it has become. But to tell you the truth, I am a bit jealous. I wish I had no life, no responsibilities and no cares where I could be sitting on a sidewalk outside a theater for a month just to see a movie. I would love to not have any other obligations that to squander a month to merely wait in line is an 'activity' that I would even consider. But even so...I still am wondering how crappy this last installment is going to be? I have ZERO hope of it even being remotely interesting and I won't buy into the hype - I never do, especially when it comes to movies. And that's my point... Even if you have no life and waiting a month in line to watch a movie is something you want to do...go crazy. But to pick this final installment of Star Wars as the movie to do so...that, I think, may make you certifiably insane...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm an "old-timer"as well, and I didn't mind Episode II. Hardly a ringing endorsement, I know, but it did have Samuel L Jackson...