Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Bitter Than Sweetness

So I've had a DSL internet connection since it's been available in my area...which is approximately since 1997, which was before cable and any other highspeed options. I like DSL better than cable because I do a fair amount of file sharing and the upstream speed is really nice for that. For some reason I wanted to check out to see what it would cost to upgrade my speed and after some quick checking found out that I've actually been paying for a faster connection but because my modem is/was so old that it was incapable of getting the faster line speed...but I should have been charged a lesser rate. Well, I wasn't a happy camper when I realized this. I made a call to my phone company and after some creative 'haggling' ... mainly inquiring as to why my rate was never reduced automatically ... I am going to be paying the same rate, getting a new modem for free, pay no activation or set up fees (which are all b.s. anyways), a nice credit on my account which will essentially pay my next 2 months of phone service and will be upping my connection speed by next week.

So hopefully by this time next week I will be blogging with a 3.5 MbPS connection versus the old 640 KbPS I was previously connected with. Also, the new modem has a built in router, wireless, ethernet and usb connectivity... not that I will be using much of that right away but being a 'chip head' I have big plans for the future and am glad to finally join the 21st century in that regards... I have a spare computer I let my daughter use and will probably hook that up to the internet just because I can now.

I do have to admit that when I first called the phone company I was ready to unload some rage upon whomever dared take my call but the representative was actually quite understanding and I did not have to issue any ultimatums and alls well that ends well.

No comments: