Monday, May 30, 2005

High School Graduations - Recap

Best line from a high school senior speaker at a graduation ceremony I worked: "I've talked with people who discuss Niche, Voltaire or Plato with elementary ease..."

Yes, you see when I was in high school not only was there one person but multiple acquaintances that when we would gather would discuss ancient and/or medieval philosophy...and why wouldn't we? I about fell out of my chair laughing when I heard this line, and I almost felt compelled to approach this student afterwards and ask him if he could (off the top of his head) give a short summary of any of the three historical philosophers he mentioned...but of course I really don't care that much...

Of course after references to philosophers he mentions how he will approach his career with the same intensity that he does when playing a video game...to win... There you have it...today's generation refers to life as if it was a video game, but they are bright enough to go on the internet to look up 3 historic figures that will make them 'sound' smart....

No comments: