Tuesday, May 08, 2007

I Am A Loser

The title of this post says it all, I am a loser. You see at my workplace, about 3 years ago, a co-worker accidentally goofed and made a comment that I heard regarding a previous company function that seating was all random except one table where the 'losers' were put so that no one 'cool' had to tolerate them...and I was at that table. I have no animosity towards anyone I work with and up until that point, I really enjoyed coming to work and enjoyed my job as a whole. But since that time I have made some changes just for my own well-being. You see, I really don't give a shit that I am considered a 'loser' around here because being a 'loser' around here means you enjoy sports, rock music and drinking. I am literally the only person that does follow all sports avidly and listen to popular rock music as well am fairly up-to-par with pop culture. But my attitude towards most everyone I work with has altered since this incident.

First, I no longer attend any work related social function. Several times throughout the year there are company social functions (ie: picnic, holiday party, etc.), all of which I would get a free meal and likely some 'prizes' as well. I typically won't even RSVP and if they demand an RSVP it will be returned as not attending. In addition to not attending social functions there are certain 'mandatory' meetings that I no longer attend as well. These meetings are basically introducing new employees to the full time staff and I will overtly lie as to why I wasn't present, although I have been overlooked a couple of times to make it even more inconspicuous when I do purposely skip.

Next, I no longer allow myself to be a 'pawn'. I use to gladly accept additional responsibility and offered my opinion on most any topic. Now I go to meetings and remember this simple phrase: "Just keep my mouth shut" and that is what I do. I go in and politely answer any questions that may be asked of me and leave at the first opportunity I can. But this isn't just because I am a loser at work it is also because once you prove yourself versatile and efficient those that are not will take advantage of you without even flinching. Creating anything ahead of a deadline is laughable now because all that means is those that do nothing but critique and require you to redo your work will just have you to redo your work until the deadline approaches. Being the a loser doesn't mean I have to be stupid.

In addition to my above point, I am now blatantly not doing optional work that is not really assigned to me but asked if I can do it. Here's how it typically goes... a person from another department will ask if I can do something that they should be doing in the first place...like let's say solder wires for a communication system. I have never been trained in soldering, wiring or any of the specifics regarding that process at all. The 'system' that needs to be soldered has about 100 wires that need soldering...so is essentially busywork for someone. So while this person proceeds to tell me how this device should be soldered, in the back of my mind - the entire time - I am giggling because there is no way in hell I am going to touch one wire or solder one thing for this device that I will never use and I have absolutely no connection with at all. But this person continues to explain how this device should be put together. I am contemplating doing these menial tasks but make sure that I do it so poorly that it will be a bigger hassle for someone to undo what I have done and correct it.

I also enjoy no longer taking place in 'conference calls' with our 'corporate headquarters'. There is absolutely nothing good that comes from these conference calls except for more work for me to do before the next conference call which, in the end, will mean little, if any, company productivity or profitability. Again, it is just busywork the corporate bigwigs want to see to make sure that no is just sitting around (maybe blogging on the internet...).

In my previous jobs, I have always made friends with my co-workers and would ban together because the company and the job would oftentimes suck. This is the first job where I enjoy the actual 'work' that I do but I no longer can say that is the same with my coworkers.

So I have entered a new chapter in my life... I like my job but not the people I work with. I am fairly disgruntled about many things that are beyond my basic job responsibilities. I am content with my actions, as I think most of my coworkers are, for they haven't even noticed...and I think are probably happy that they have rid themselves of 1 loser that attended their functions....

No comments: