Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Benefits From Being Removed From Society

I can't believe I haven't at least mentioned this in the past, but now is as good as time as any...and that is, for some time now I have officially removed myself as being a member of "American Society". You see, I just don't 'get' what many of the things that are raved about on an almost daily basis... I don't watch American Idol at all, I think iPods are over-rated, I haven't paid admission to go to a movie since Lord Of The Rings part 3, I didn't think Borat was the funniest movie ever and so on...

And so far I don't think I have missed out on much of anything and here is a fantastic example of why I no longer wish to be a part of 'society'. Last night the series finale of the Soprano's aired on HBO. I have seen about the first season and a half of the Soprano's and yes, it is a pretty good show but not good enough for me to subscribe to HBO. I could also tell that the Soprano's was going to be one of those 'soap-operaish' type shows, but of course with a mobster twist which is why it is gitchy in the first place. But I just didn't feel like I wanted to get all caught up into a television show where I would have to put my time in following it every week to find out what happened to who. And what would have really peeved me about this series was that HBO dragged the final season out forever. But last night seems I am vindicated in not only wasting my time and money getting HBO but also to put my 'time' in watching the series because apparently, by most accounts, the finale sucked and may be a lead-in to a movie. A person doesn't have to make too much of a stretch to figure all the 'devoted' viewers as mindless drones because HBO surely manipulated them as such.

No comments: