Thursday, January 07, 2010

Young, Inexperienced and Pampered

A trend that has been going on in this town, as well as for most of the "cities" in the barren wasteland, is that the news coverage is no longer being carried out be people that have had, virtually, a lifetime of experience doing so. Instead the 'news' of the region is brought to you buy people that are fresh out of school, and I say school because a college degree is no longer relevant in journalism today. And no offense to those folks that are trying their best but one thing that I have noticed of late is that the stories that are being reported on are often lacking much substance, factually incomplete and more times than not, bias to some degree. There is no longer any care towards fairness and accuracy it is all about just filling space now...quality is totally inconsequential.

Which then had me tie in another thought that I had...as I put my coat, boots and gloves on to go outside and snowblow the most recent 7 inches of snow we got, I commented to my daughter that if she wanted to be nice she could go out and shovel the front walk and steps ... it wouldn't take her more than 10 minutes, but both her and I knew that she wasn't going to do that... in fact, my daughter (as well as my son) have never had to do much of anything in terms of 'work around the house.' But they are not alone, I see that is the case for many of the kids these days and I imagine it likely has been this way for a little while. So what's my point? After I was done, I merely commented to my daughter that she doesn't have much more time before she will have to move out and be on her own and who is going to shovel her walk then? Who is going to do her laundry? Who is going to cook for her? Who is going to clean for her? And almost like a bell went off in her head, I could see a terror stricken look on her face that she may have just realized something...and to tell you the truth it was probably the realization that she is never leaving home because the service she gets there is fantastic...what a silly notion for me to ask who would be doing these chores...but it was probably the realization that she will have to stay and live at home because she has literally not done anything in her entire life...which is the case of many of these kids these days...

They grow up in a sheltered environment, coddled and pandered too their entire life and then they are set free in the real world...what would you expect? They lack common sense and ambition. Anything cold, cruel or mean is covered up and ignored. Basic social skills aren't even understood because their socialization has been via instant and text messaging where mean and callous words are thrown around routinely at and about others.

And I can just see that my daughter's "lifestyle" is just an evolution of those that are beginning to take positions in the media world today. Last month I posted about the top albums of the decade essentially picking only albums from one style of music - lazy writing and reporting...that writer likely didn't even have to leave his house to obtain and listen to music and, yet, they were still too lazy to even listen to any other kind of music then what they already enjoy. The kids today are even more uninformed than ever and don't mind it one bit. They would rather be lazy and wrong then have to do anything to find out what is right...

I'm not sure how many jobs there are going to be in the future where you just sit on Facebook and YouTube all day long, but that seems to be the most touted skill from kids these days...

No comments: