Thursday, January 14, 2010

LT's Last Stand?

Something I forgot to include in my playoff preview but should be noted is that this very well could be LaDainian Tomlinson's final game in San Diego as a Charger and, at the very least, could very well be playing in his final games as a Charger. And I would have to guess that unless LT renegotiates his contract to reduce his salary that he likely will be let go. It will be a strictly "business" decision but everyone knows that is mostly true but everyone also knows that you don't keep high priced, low-productivity players which LT, unfortunately, has become on this team. You then factor in that Darren Sproles was franchised last season would likely be the top signing priority for the Chargers to fill their backfield and if freeing up money by letting LT go would totally make sense.

I have to admit that since the 2006 season LaDainian Tomlinson is a different running back. LT for the past two seasons slips, slides, ducks out of bounds, runs right into his own blockers, jukes and jives and not blasting through a hole. Add all that and then only on a handful of plays this past season did a person even see LT into the second line of a teams' defense. The halfback pass, a play that in the past made LT versatile and was ran several times a year...this past season, ran once and LT badly overthrew his receiver. Yes, unfortunately LT's recent past will be his own worst enemy in any negotiations with any team he wants to play for.

But I really don't want to dwell on the past few seasons ... LT, will always be remembered by myself as the greatest Charger running back ever. I remember when he first came into the league and the Chargers stunk. He reminded me a little of Barry Sanders at that time...literally running for his life and with purpose. The 2006 regular season was unforgettable and a time I know I will reflect upon for the rest of my life.

LT has been nothing but a stand up guy. Has never been a vocal leader but led by example. He has never been anything but classy. I will not be glad or happy to see LT leave San Diego and for him to go to any other team is almost heart-wrenching ... but I know what must be done for both sides. I continue to hold hope that LT will remain a Charger but by all appearances, after this season, the likelihood of that happening is not likely.

I am not will to say LT is gone and am holding out hope that his presence will be felt in the playoffs...the past 2 post seasons LT has been hurt. If part of the Chargers 'master plan' was to keep LT healthy for the playoffs so he can make an impact, it is fully in place. And at the very least, LT has an opportunity to redeem himself this year in the playoffs and wouldn't it be great to see LT return to his own form and run wild and help the Chargers get to the Super Bowl?

No comments: