Thursday, January 28, 2010

State Of Me Caring About The State Of The Union

So last night was the State of the Union address and I was just reflecting on how I once reacted about the State of the Union address throughout my life ...

The 1975-1985 - The State of the Union speech sucked because I wanted to watch something else. There were only 13-20 total television channels and the State of the Union would be on at least 6 of those. As a young boy the State of the Union speech was soooo booorrrring.

1986-1993 - I felt a need to become 'educated' on political issues of the day so watched to have an 'informed' opinion, mostly for school purposes. I also do recall watching the speech during the first Iraqi war.

1993 - 1997 - I was single and in my 20's, television was totally a secondary activity. I would watch sports and a few other shows (Seinfeld, Simpsons, etc.). So any State of the Union addresses during this time were missed due to other activities. (IE: Hey do you want to go out and have some beers tonight?)

1997-2004 - Married with children. My children are young, they command a lot of my time and if not my time then most certainly the television. Very rarely, during this time, when the children are awake would a person get more than 30 minutes to themselves. And as soon as they went to bed it was then time to clean up their destruction and go to bed yourself.

2005-present - Now having DirecTV with over 150 channels ... not only have I not seen the State of the Union address, there wasn't even a channel that I would flip to randomly just to see what's on and mistakenly see it....how times have changed. My son will never have to pull out the checker board or build something with your erector set because the president is giving some booorrrring speech.

No comments: