Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Tool: The Modern Symphony

For some reason this vein of thought struck me as I was driving home from work tonight ... for some reason, after not listening to Tool for several months but wanting to hear something different in my car, I threw my Tool 10,000 Days CD in the player to rock out to as I drove home. And before I continue I feel compelled to display my "Tool" credentials, not to brag or some display of bravado, but rather to openly display my bias. Yes, I am a Tool superfan...oh, really you exclaim? How big of a Tool fan? In a previous blog entry, I have conveniently listed the 9 live shows since 1997 that I have attended, several with links to the reviews that I posted at that time right here, I encourage you to at least browse my blog reviews but the pre-blog reviews are a nice blast from the past... so you can gauge my 'fandom' accordingly.

What has been perplexing me, as a Tool fan, is the lack of an appropriate label to describe the music that Tool produces. I have heard them called art-metal, prog-metal, alternative-metal, alternative-progressive-art metal and all blank-metal adjectives a writer can come up with. But to me, I have yet to hear of an appropriate label for Tool. I am not now trying to apply some sort of label to Tool but I guess more of a correlation that, to me, seems to explain their music a little better than all the labels I have seen other writers and/or reviewers try to apply to Tool.

Once man began to 'understand' music, 2 basic forms of music have basically always been in existence. There has been a simple and a complex form of music all throughout history.

Let's start with the simple form of music. These are the songs that are simple songs that one can sing as they plow the fields, lay track, chop timber, wrestle bears or whatever. Simple music is not meant to be overbearing or tasking of the mind, instead it is something a person has used throughout history to help pass the time regardless of what that might be ... again, chopping timber, lay track, etc. literally mind candy. Simple music does not hide any pearls of wisdom or underlying theme. Simple music is not meant to spark the engine of ingenuity within a person. Simple music is something you enjoy when you want to be at ease and without thought.

Now to the complex form of music. Complex music is music that will have the listener seeking answers from the song. You may hear complex music for the first time but, if crafted correctly, complex music will have the listener discovering more within the song each time they hear it. Complex music is made with a purpose and with deliberate intent. Yes, most songs may have some sort of 'message' but it is in the manner in which it is delivered that continues to distinguish it from either being a simple or complex form of music.

Both forms of music, simple and complex, have always been appreciated by people, but regardless of how you try to categorize music, whether it be country, rock, hip-hop, blues, jazz, soul, etc., I would say that a person could further separate music into 2 basic types, that of complex or simple forms of music.

I think there would then be little debate amongst those that are avid listeners (or not) to symphonic music from great composers like Mozart or Beethoven (yes, I know more than 2 composers but feel compelled to stop listing them now ... ok, Schubert is one more just to shut you up) would be classified as complex music. A person could not possibly fully understand the intent of these composers with merely just one listen. Oh sure, you may get the 'jist' or the overall picture with some pieces but, again, if crafted correctly complex songs and music will have the listener discovering more within the song whether intended or not.

That is where I think Tool comes in today. I think that the music that Tool puts out is the modern day equivalent to the symphonies like that from the great composers prior to the 'electronic era' of music. What Tool puts out today is music that a person could not fully understand or absorb with just one listen. Their music is the type of music that you can listen to over and over again and each time discover something new. Their songs aren't 3 minutes or whatever length would best fit on an album or for radio play. Tool songs are the length needed to fully deliver the message appropriately and if that is 12 minutes, then the song is 12 minutes in length. Tool songs, like complex music of the past, are made for a person to, essentially, be told a story, a tale, and whatever that might be and if shortened or otherwised altered, that message is lost.

Now I am not trying to convert anyone into 'liking' Tool or even to listen to them if you don't want too. Nor am I trying to come of as being 'superior' or some sort of 'music snob' just because I enjoy Tool and I have now applied my own label and whether intended or not, elevated them. I am simply trying to find a better way to place them in the 'rock music' genre which, as I prefaced this piece with, I have yet to be satisfied with any of the contemporary labels that have been placed upon Tool. Their form of 'rock music' is a form that is often imitated, but rarely duplicated - another cliche but appropriate. Tool has found a perfect blend when creating their music, combining their lyrics with instruments in a manner that sends the music at the listener in waves with peaks and valleys all with multiple layers and throughout it all is a story and a message they are delivering. A clear exhibition of a complex form of music.

And before concluding, I should make sure to put this in the proper context ... when Tool first formed they were a more heavy, harsher, angrier band. But as they developed and evolved as a band, they honed their edge - one final cliche for this piece. I think from the beginning Tool has been a band that delivered this complex music to people but like a craftsman, became more skilled at doing so with every attempt until they have reached the point they are at now. The message in their early years was extremely powerful and rarely subtle. Tool hasn't toned down their music, their power is still fully exhibited, but as I keep iterating, they are far from a heavy metal or any other metal band.

This entire entry was written 2 years after the release of 10,000 Days, Tool's last album but their music continues to ignite thought within me and that was why I was compelled to write this piece.

No comments: