Thursday, January 15, 2009

Convenience Store Clerk Chat

The conveneince store, an invention that revolutionized the 'self-serv' industry.  Before the convenience store a person would pull into a gas station, fill their car up with gas and unless they needed service for their car or some automotive related item, went merrily on their way.  But now, with today's Automotive Super Centers, aka convenience store, a person can fill their tank with gas and then do a bit of shopping ... whether it be grocery, gift or just simply for themself, a properly stocked convenience store should have what you are looking for.


With the convenienc store came the convenience store clerk.  An occupation that would quickly propel itself to the top of the list for people that will get 'talked' too about any and everything, become the 'local' information center, if you will.  For you see, 'regulars' at a convenience store begin to know all the clerks and begin to develop a rapport with them ... for some it will be weather talk, for others it is news or sports and the range of topics varies.  The convenience store clerk is a person, that if they weren't before they started working at a convenience store, need to be informed of the 'news of the day'.  And once a person has developed a relationship with one convenience store, they carry that same demeanor with them to every convenience store they then visit.  My father, for instance, frequents his local convenience store maybe 3 times a week ... mainly for a coffee and gas ... as a result, is fairly familar with the employees there and has his 'talking points' with the workers there. (ie: How's the weather today Joe?).  Because of this, now whenever my father goes to any convenience store, he will strike up a conversation with the clerk there and because he has finely tuned his 'convenience store clerk' banter, can quickly strike up a dialogue with the clerk and they sound as if they have been long-time friends.

Knowing and observing this behavior from serveral people, and being the considerate person that I am, I have kind of took it upon myself to not be one of those guys.  For you see, I feel the convenience store clerk's pain.  Oh sure, you will have the occassional convenience store clerk that just LOVES their customers and enjoys the interactions they have with them, but for the most part, I think most clerks would rather you simply be quiet, pay for your shit and get out ... which is exactly what I try to do.  And to this day, I think it has been quietly yet, greatly appreciated by the convenience store clerks I encounter.  You see what a considerate person I am?

So for the past year or so, I have stopped at a convenience store to purchase a soda on my way to work ... never gas and rarely anything else - gas is cheaper elsewhere as is everything else.  I have walked in, grabbed my soda, payed for it and walked out.  Well, obviously stopping by this convenience store every morning for well over a year now, all the clerks know me ... or at least what I look like... for you see, I have never said anything more than Thank You or No Thanks to them.    And to me, all the clerks seem to not mind our quick transaction with no banter at all.  Well recently, I have begun to notice that one particular clerk has begun to try and talk with me more as I have gone in ... and to tell you I feel awkward is to say the least.  Here, I thought I was doing them a favor, and for the most part I think the majority of clerks appreciate my efforts, but now a clerk is trying to lure me into conversing with them as I make my morning soda purchase.  And the clerk that is attempting this, is a person that in the past, I thought was making deliberate efforts to not converse and to keep transactions brief...but I almost think that my 'accepting' of the brief transaction and having never made even an attempt to converse with the clerk has them curious as to 'what's my deal?'  I come in there every day and don't say much of anything ... surely, at least one time I should ask how's the weather or make some comical joke regarding the cold ... but no, I have never even done that.

So I'm thinking if the clerk does want to start up some sort of chatting whenever I come in, I will oblige .. but my only worry then is, what if the person is a 'long-winded talker?' and that is why they want me to 'talk'.  It really isn't to talk with me, it is more to talk at me.  So the next time I go in to purchase a soda the clerk will lure me into a conversation with them and I'll oblige, it will start simply enough as "So the weather sure has been cold around here, huh?" and the next thing you know I could be standing in the store for 20 minutes as the clerk details their life history to me which is the prelude to their fascinating tales about their cat.  




2 comments:

Joe S said...

I have been a convenience store clerk for about 18 months now in a very busy store. I have many regulars who I even call friends. I have met the love of my life and many friends just from little bits of conversation. Ill give you a hint. If the clerk knows your name or calls you by name then he or she is trying to be friendly and might actually like you. Me personally if I do not like a person I do not remember their name.Keep in mind that most full timers at convenience stores do not have much of a life outside of the stores. I manage to connect the two. I have been invited and gone to many partys and BBQs that my customers have invited me to and I in return have had them to mine and they always come. I guess it really just matters what kind of town you are in. I am glad I started working where I am. So next time a clerk tries to strike up conversation, reply. If your in a hurry just simply say "Love to talk but running late" We understand after all when we are not at work we are in a hurry too.

cstoreoffice1 said...

I like your post and it's really informative for us thanks for sharing
keep it!!!