Monday, February 25, 2008

SNL Returns: Tina Fey - Carrie Underwood

After a several month hiatus due to the writer's strike, a new SNL final hit the airwaves this past weekend and to 'ease' back into the show, they asked former writer/cast member Tina Fey back to host the show. Because I don't actually watch the show as it airs, but at a later time - hey, I have stuff to do on Saturday night - and because a sporting event went extremely late in my viewing area, I didn't get to watch the show, instead my DVR has a triple overtime high school hockey championship game and then my late local news...and not SNL... I did check out the clips this morning but I'll have to wait another month or 2 until the rerun airs to catch the entire show. But here's what I did see...

The open was actually pretty funny, mocking the democratic debate in which the media has essentially 'chosen' Barack Obama and is ignoring Hillary...


Tina's monologue, of course, referenced the writer's strike and then Steve Martin makes a cameo to 'liven' up the monologue...


The mock commercial this week was for the product "Annuale" which is a product for women that has them only experience their period once a year...but when they get it, they are crazed beasts...at least more than normally!


The mock show 'lady business' promo really didn't do much for me...seemed more stupid than funny...


The SNL Digital Short featured grandkids in movies and was actually fairly amusing where an elderly person who is easily frightened by things on television but by inserting your grandchildren into the movies and videos, things are more normal for the elderly person...


I'm going to drink your milkshake was the next sketch and I really didn't 'get it'...it had a moment or two, but overall, I didn't think was that amusing at all...but maybe I need to see No Country For Old Men...


Tina Fey had a Weekend Update piece which essentially was a campaign pitch for Hillary Clinton...


And then Mike Huckabee also had an appearance on Weekend Update...and the more I have seen Huckabee on the comedy talk show(s), the more I like him. He has a good sense of humor and isn't scared to laugh at himself.

Again, I missed the show but these are the elements I did get to watch and it doesn't seem like too bad a show with a few sketches that are alright and a few that aren't alright...

No comments: