Tuesday, June 30, 2009

US Open Post-View, Wimbledon In Progress

I've been meaning to get a post on here for some time and just have been away from a computer to do so or just not sufficient time to get a complete post up but here's a couple of sports related items I've been meaning to comment on...

The US Open: first, let me again state and praise how awesome having DirecTV is... for most of the open I just had the tv tuned into Tiger's group exclusively, which is really cool... there is very few commercials, usually only when they are waiting to tee-off an extraordinary long time...which was a couple of times...and a person watching gets to see so much of the 'entire' experience the pro golfer gets...as he walks through the crowds and around the course. But aside from that, Tiger did play fairly well except he putted like crap. He had several chances for easy or makable birdie putts and failed to convert. He was driving the ball good and his approach shots were on target as well... his short game, though, totally sucked...chipping, pitching and putting were his downfall this Open. He's playing this weekend and I have ZERO plans...it is a sad state of affairs, more on that later...so I will likely be able to catch much of his play and see how Tigers doing...

Wimbledon fired up last week as well and I've watched quite a bit of it so far...I've mainly been watching Federer, Roddick and Hewitt... Federer because he is awesome, Roddick because I like him and he is probably the best American and Hewitt because he has been playing really well and his matches seem fairly entertaining. I've watched a few of the women's matches ... Sharapova, losing and the Williams girls. I'm kind of surprised at the resurgance of the anti-grunting faction...well, I shouldn't say resurgance, but finally a real vocal outcry by many former women greats (Everett, Martina, etc.) about how they think it is uncalled for and unsportsmanlike. When Seles started grunting when she began playing I didn't like it then, she was the only one doing it so many really didn't make a big deal of it...but now, the grunting and shrieking from these women players is to the point of absurdity. I do think something should be done because it is ridiculious.

No comments: