Wednesday, June 17, 2009

ESPN Gave Up Live Mornings?

I recalled, it was last year prior to the Olympics that ESPN, with much fanfare, announced that their morning Sportscenter shows would now be 'live'. Now I don't usually watch ESPN at all unless they are airing live sports for the obvious reason, I have grown tired of hearing about the Yankees, Red Sox and the rest of the east coast teams...not to mention they barely acknowledge hockey and place the NBA as the premiere sport...because of course they are covering the NBA for their parent company, ABC. But I digress...

This morning I had a fair amount of 'slow work' (as I call it) where I am essentially sitting around waiting 2-5 minutes before I need to hit a button and/or change some media or whatever... so I turn on the ole' ESPN just to kill some time and, besides, there is literally nothing worth watching on television in the morning. It wasn't even 1 hour and I begin to notice that ESPN is just re-airing the same Sportscenter over and over and over again...just like before. You know, I thought at the time of the announcement that ESPN would not be able to fill an entire morning with enough fresh material to justify going live...but I also thought that since ESPN is more about fabricating stories and sensationalizing most anything I thought they would be able to put enough garbage together to fill 3 hours with little problems... well it looks like that experiment is all but over.

The live ESPN Sportscenter obviously left quietly and with little opposition and I don't know if anyone knows exactly when because no one was watching in the first place. The facts remain the same...there are very few times that would justify a live morning sports show.

As a sidenote...many people in this region have had their eyes opened as to how shoddy and inaccurate ESPN's reporting actually is during the entire Favre saga this summer. I haven't trusted ESPN for any sports news in quite some time and there are so many other reliable sources a person could go to get the right information. If you want some speculation and opinion, tune into ESPN ... if you want the correct story and the facts, you will need to get your sports news from some other source.

No comments: