Monday, June 08, 2009

Sunday O' Sports

Yesterday I was feeling ill and pretty much just laid in bed all day to rest up...and while I lied around all day I was able to monitor/watch a full days worth of sports and it was pretty entertaining...

First was the French Open...although I was not up early enough to watch the beginning, I did wake up in time to see Roger dominate the 3rd set and win his 14th major title and his career Grand Slam, making him probably the greatest tennis player ever... As I have stated earlier, I do like Federer and I was happy to see him finally win the French...I was kind of hoping he would beat Nadal to really validate his win, but maybe next year!

Then I dozed off until the afternoon and watched Tiger Woods light up the back 9 at the Nicklaus hosted Memorial PGA event to win it. It looks like Tiger is getting his stroke back...there are 3 majors left to be claimed this year and I think Tiger could...should...be able to win 2 of them if he continues to play like he is right now.

The evening session had me watching the Lakers-Magic game...you know what the lamest rule in professional sports is? It's the NBA rule where a team calls a timeout under the opponents basket and then is allowed to inbounds the ball on their end of the court. That is exactly what happened last night and if the Magic would have won the game because of that rule it would just further illuminate at how lame that rule is. In what other sport does a team get rewarded 3 quarters of the playing field for simply calling a timeout? The Magic got a loose ball with .7 seconds left in the game (a tie game), call a timeout...because they then get to inbounds the ball on their side of the floor, they almost convert a buzzer-beater play. This rule has been an NBA rule for quite some time and no one must see any problem with it because it is just the NBA's attempt to make every game 'close' and if it means they have to sacrifice fairness to achieve that, then they will do that... the NBA is lame...

And the nightcap was the Faber-Brown MMA fight... now I am not a big MMA guy, but for some reason I have followed "The Califonia Kid" Uriah Faber. He got beat by Mike Brown, a guy who I thought caught Faber with a lucky shot to win the lightweight belt, but there was little doubt who won the fight last night...it was Brown, who had threatened multiple times to secure a submission hold on Faber. Faber, for the most part, tried to keep the fight on their feet and any time they went to the mat it was Brown who was the aggressor. Faber landed a few decent shots, but nothing that slowed Brown down. Overall, not a bad MMA fight.

There was my day in bed in front of a t.v.

No comments: