Friday, November 30, 2007

NFL Week 12.1 Review

I've missed a few weeks of my NFL reviews, but I think my opinion's on the NFL are about as good as anyone else's this year and that is not worth shit. The NFL is all over the board and with a week in between each game, that each game of every week in the NFL is under such open and intense analysis, a person can seemingly be swayed by the 'trends', something I tried not to fall into...but at the same time, even not following the 'trends' a person can still be misguided by their perceptions of the NFL...

Like the Detroit Lions. Here's a team I thought was playing well and looking good. Once 6 and 2 but after a 3 game losing streak are now 6 and 5. Sure 2 of the 3 last loses were against winning teams but the lose to Arizona may have been the clock striking midnight for the Lions. They now travel to the Metrodome to take on a Viking team that has won its last 3 out of 4 and completely embarrassed Eli Manning and the New York Giants. The murmur of 'playoff possibilities' are beginning to perculate in Vikingland because after Detroit the Vikes play San Fran, Chicago, Washington and Denver. A win versus Detroit puts them at .500 and one could think that a good team could go 3 for 4 against their remaining opponents and that would put the Vikes at 9-7 which may just be enough to eek in as a wild card in the NFC. How's that for crazy? Do I think this is likely? No...but it could be possible. Let's face it... the Vikes aren't that good...but San Francisco is awful, the Bears aren't good and the Broncos are fodder on any given Sunday. Then you even consider the Redskins, who likely will be fighting for a wild card spot as well, that game may be the ticket to the playoffs for both teams.

Indy-Jacksonville, probably the game of the week. If Indy wins they have all but secured their ticket to the playoffs. If Indy loses, they are in a dogfight for winning the AFC South with the Jags. I think Indy is pretty banged up and losing Dwight Freeney may be costly for the Colts against good opponents. The game is in Indy and that may be the intangible that the Colts need to win the game.

Of course the Green Bay-Dallas game was last night. A very entertaining game and I do have to give the Packers credit...I thought they were going to get pwned but they play very well. And after watching last night's game, I realized why the Packers are able to do so well...their offensive line. Favre and Rodgers both, for the most part, had ample time in the pocket and the Packer wide receivers are extremely athletic. Both Driver and Jennings had good catch and runs against the Cowboy D. But I also think that the 2007 Packers could very well be the 2006 Bears, that being a one-year, one-hit wonder.

Dolphins favored by a point at home against the Jets. I have Thomas Jones on my fantasy team and is a reason why my fantasy team sucks...the Jets suck are are actually underdogs in a game against a winless team...how sad is that for a team?

Chargers play in Arrowhead...Chargers suck on the road...big time. I picked up Kolby Smith on my fantasy team...the last rookie running back the Chargers faced broke the NFL single game rushing record...I'm expecting big things from Kolby.

The Patriots go to Baltimore and are favored by 20 points. I'm thinking I would take the Pats and give the points. Baltimore can't score if it tried and their defense is a shell of what it was...the Patriot defense will be battling the Patriot offense for the most scores in that game.

The only other game that even remotely interests me is the Broncos-Raiders game and of course I am pulling for the Raiders. Go Raiders!

No comments: