Monday, July 16, 2007

Video Gaming On TV

The Championship Gaming Series, a video game league, began airing on DirecTV last week. Now I am an avid video gamer...have been essentially all my life... I went from Pong to Atari 2600 to Commodore 64 & 128 to now, a PC. Throughout this time there have been shows devoted to computers and even more specifically to gaming...but there has never been a gaming show that has appealed to me for one big reason...that is, I would begin to watch a gaming show to try and pick up tips and tricks on how to play a particular game...but there has never been a show that can successfully do this. The show(s) are typically like the crappy Madden Nation show that ESPN produced... that is, you would see highlights of the game and never really learn how to get better. Also, in previous shows that I have viewed that involve first-person-shooters, the competitors are so familiar with the game and, more importantly, the game's quirks, that the normal player will likely never attain the skill of the players that play the game 24/7. And then finally, the final obstacle is the games themselves. Because there is only about a billion video games and unless you are playing the 'latest-greatest' game, the show will be uninteresting...and then you may even tune in to see how the game looks and plays...but again, a person usually only gets select scenes and action and never a full representation of the game.

Sure I will check it out...but I doubt that I will watch more than one episode...

No comments: