Monday, July 30, 2007

The Simpsons Movie

So I went to The Simpsons Movie over the weekend...the first movie I've seen in an actual theatre in about 5 years...got to see it on the 'Extreme Screen' which made it even more enjoyable.

Well, I think the obvious can be said about this movie, that is, if you like the television show you'll like the movie. If you don't watch The Simpsons and/or don't like them, you will not enjoy the movie.

I thought the movie was essentially a long television episode...is that bad? I didn't think so. I enjoyed the movie and I will gladly hand over my $7 to watch an extended Simpsons episode (movie) than watch most any of the other garbage that is coming out of Hollywood.

But I do have a minor complaints regarding the movie, and if you haven't seen the movie yet and intend too, you may want to stop reading now because I will detail some items from the movie that may ruin it for you...

I think the writers took several plotlines from previous episodes, kind of re-worked them and then threw it into the movie. Lake Springfield being polluted, Bart pissed at Homer seeks out Flanders as his 'fill-in' dad until Homer coaxes Bart back and Homer introducing a pig as a new 'family member' are all plotlines that have been explored in the television episodes to one degree or another. Lisa falls for an Irish boy, but that story line isn't developed much at all and the boyfriend, Collin, is introduced early in the movie, but then is essentially omitted until the end of the show where a short moment is spent to complete his role in the film, which was nothing other than a non-developed plot-line.

I think the movie itself could have been longer if the writers would have chosen to show some of the activities that were occurring within Springfield while the Simpsons were away - most Simpsons fans are fans of all the Characters in Springfield, not just the family itself. And the ending with the protagonist was about as anti-climatic as you could have gotten...even for cartoon standards...Maggie - out of nowhere - dropping a rock on Russ Cargill...end of story.

But despite the minor issues I have with the movie, I thought it was worth going too...but I am a Simpsons fan. And again, if you are not a fan of The Simpsons, there will be little in this movie that you will enjoy.

No comments: