Thursday, August 24, 2006

Getting Sweeter

I have not been ashamed to gloat about dropping cable and switching to DirecTV. I did so at first when my local cable provider decided to not pick up OLN last year to watch the NHL. Then during the NFL's offseason the NFL Network announced that it would carry select football games. Having the NFL Network, I am not concerned about missing anything, but again the local cable provider here does not carry that network and would likely not carry it...at least not for a rate increase as they have done so many times in the past. I knew there wouldn't be too much of a stink from the locals...that is unless the Vikings should somehow get scheduled to play on the NFL Network. Then and only then would people of this community raise their voices for missing any other NFL games is no big deal but to miss a Vikings game...well then something needs to be done. Well, not only is the NFL Network carrying a Viking game, but the December 21st game is against division rival Green Bay and is always a big game for this region. So the local newspaper ran an article about folks missing that game because the cable provider doesn't carry the NFL Network and of course unless cable subscribers are willing to pay more, they won't be able to see the game...HA HA HA!

And not the NFL Network is the cat's meow, but I also have gotten to see all of the Charger preseason games and their next game on Saturday vs Seattle will be shown live. I have (and will) watched more on the NFL Network since I've had it then about 40 other channels so in my mind is worth it.

I am just sitting back and snickering... the cable company here is shitty, has been shitty and anyone that continues to tolerate it's shittines should expect this type of treatment. I also anticipate them losing a fair amount of subscribers over this as well which serves them right. It is only a matter of time before more people in my town have something other than cable because people are finally seeing that all this cable company does is raise rates and the only channels they add for a small fee increase is shopping networks which they get for free anyways.

No comments: