Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Chargers Beat Dallas

For essentially this entire season I have said that the Charger defense has yet to impress me and I have felt is the weak link for this team...this past week they did all they could to change that impression for me...

The Cowboys elected to receive the opening kickoff and promptly marched down the field...until they got to the 3 yard line, and then the Charger defense made it's stand and held the Cowboys to a field goal. This was just a foreshadowing for the rest of the game... for the Cowboys had several opportunities inside Charger territory and each time were repelled by the Charger defense. The Cowboys had a first a goal at the 1 yard line and handed the ball off to Marion Barber four consecutive times and four consecutive times he was stopped.

The Cowboys were able to tie the game at 10-10 in the third quarter but the Chargers answered with their own touchdown drive and the Cowboys scored a garbage touchdown to wind up making the game appear close but was not in doubt, Chargers win 20-17.

Some interesting things I've noticed... very little Merriman and more Tim Dobbins. Dobbins was in on almost every tackle during the Marion Barber 1-yard scoring attempts by the Cowboys. Sure Merriman is listed as injured but I do think his days in San Diego are numbered...especially with Dobbins and Stephen Cooper playing fairly well.

The officiating...oh my god...could it be any more biased towards the Cowboys? The play prior to Phillip Rivers being intercepted the Cowboy defender tackled (I do believe it was) Malcom Floyd while the ball was in the air ... and when I say tackled, I mean tackled. If there was ever a blatant and more obvious pass interference penalty it would be tough to come by...yet there was no call. Then during a Dallas possession get a very generous pass interference call on a way more subjective play. I have a feeling that if it wasn't for the officials the Chargers may have been able to put the game away sooner.

The Cincinnati Bengals lost last week and that's who's coming to San Diego this week...if the Chargers win they will clinch the No. 2 seed for the AFC and a first round bye... who would of thunk? The Chargers are definitely 'hot' right now, I just hope they aren't peaking too soon...

No comments: