Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Broncos - Crushed, Chiefs - Crushed...Chargers Control The West

Well it's been over two weeks since I've last reported on the Chargers and what a two weeks it has been...

First, the Chargers destroyed the Broncos in Denver. The Broncos looked like a completely different team then the one that beat the Chargers earlier this season...but the Chargers also appear different as well...

Then came the Chiefs and this game was close for a quarter and a half and then the Chiefs just completely fell apart...

So now the Chargers are a full game up on the Broncos, finished their division schedule at 5-1 and are in control of the AFC West. The Chargers are tied with the Bengals for the 2nd best record in the AFC and will meet to play them in a few weeks so that might settle that...

Over the past 4 games the Charger defense has been much improved but I also have noticed a lot of different players seeing some time ... early this year I saw Shawne Merriman in on almost every play and not do anything... now I see Larry English and I notice Shaun Phillips getting sacks and English making plays ... Steve Gregory has been playing safety in place of Eric Weddle and, to me, it seems as if Gregory is a 'playmaker'. Antonio Cromartie has been playing better ... is this because the db's are rotating? I have read a couple of articles where they have commented that defensive coordinator Ron Rivera was going to hold players more accountable and good play will be rewarded and that no player's spot on defense was secure. But I also have noticed a few different blitz packages ... so I think there might be a combination of tweaking the defensive strategy as well as the personnel. The biggest question, for me, still remains if the defense is for real.

Winning the last four games was a surprise to me... I was hoping to win at least one, maybe two out of the Giants, Eagles, Broncos stretch and then not have a letdown game against the Chiefs...but the Chargers have kept the throttle down. There should be no excuse for the Chargers to not pound Cleveland this Sunday...

No comments: