Monday, December 01, 2008

Morning Driving

I am not a 'morning' person, never have been one and likely will never be one either.  I am not fresh and perky in the morning, I am usually tired and slow.  It takes me a good hour or two before I hit my stride for the day....but that is really just my personal traits and is just a little background information.  My true topic is that of morning driving and probably more specifically, crazy morning drivers.


You see, I guess I am lucky, I have a job where I really am never in a rush to get to work...sure, I am to be at work by 8:00 AM most days and I do try to get there by 8:00 AM each and every day but I am not reprimanded or punished if I am not here at exactly 8:00 AM.  So I drive to work in a non-rushed manner.  Now mind you, I am not a pokey or slow driver either... I usually go at least 5-10 MPH over the limit in town - at least whatever traffic is doing.  But each and every morning there is at least 1-5 cars that I will encounter on my way to work that you can see are breaking any and every law they can to get to whereever they need to be as fast as possible.  As I see these people my first thought is "Man am I glad I am never in such a hurry that I have to drive like that!"  The speeding tickets, potential for accident and bodily injury are written all over these crazy morning drivers.  What makes it even worse is once it snows around here and the roads become icy and snow covered.  That is of little concern to crazy morning drivers and because other drivers are usually more cautious when conditions are worse traffic, as a whole, slows down ... so now the crazy morning driver needs to double their insanity in their driving to get to wherever they need to go to even faster.

And I will say that my view might be a little skewed because I reside and drive right by a large University and there is no question that the majority of these crazy drivers are young adults/college aged people.  This only makes things worse because college kids think they are smarter than everyone else because they are in college, so you extrapolate that and they are obviously now the greatest drivers in the world but in both instances the exact opposite is more close to the truth.

And really I don't have a problem with any and all crazy morning drivers that need to get all the way across town in 2 minutes.  I just want to drive undisturbed and peacefully to my destination and if you leave me be that is exactly what happens.  But no, the crazy morning driver has to first drive right on to your bumper and almost meld with your vehicle.  You see, that no matter how fast you are driving it will not be fast enough for the crazy morning driver.  They will literally be within inches of your bumper in an effort to persuade you to speed up.  Of course my favorite tactic is to slow down as much as possible...you can then watch a person in the rear view mirror begin to unleash a tirade of profanity and become increasingly animated is the usual result...as I smirk to myself.  And I do nothing to provoke or try and incite crazy morning drivers , but I do get frustrated that because they are in a hurry it then justifies their driving habits ... and is there anything more sweet then seeing a crazy morning driver on their cell phone weave in and out of traffic and fly by you just to see them wreck a few blocks ahead of you... I always like to give those folks a honk and a wave for a job well done... I hope the rush you were in was worth it!


No comments: