Saturday, October 01, 2005

Chargers - Patriots Preview

Alright, here's my thoughts on this weekend's San Diego Chargers at the New England Patriots...

First, a personal protest. The Charger - Patriot game was slated to be seen on my local CBS affiliate, but because Brooks Bollinger - Grand Forks, ND product - is starting tomorrow they switched the game to be seen to the NY Jets and the Baltimore Ravens...man, only in North Dakota. That just means I'm going to the bar, but I could have saved some dough by getting some offsale and watching the game at a friend's place...but I'll manage somehow...

Ok, now on to the game...

The big story has been that the Patriots defense has been weakened, is battered and bruised. But that's all great and stuff, but the Charger defense has been less than stellar...in fact, down right awful. Tom Brady and the Patriot offense could easily have a field day and their defense take a breather...

So if the Chargers are going to have a shot at winning this game, they are going to have to keep the ball out of Brady's hands. The offense needs to execute 'Marty Ball' to perfection. No turnovers, and nice methodical drives that use a lot of clock and move the ball. The Charger defense shouldn't be put into the position to win the game, because they have yet to prove they can. So special teams is could also play a big part of this game and I think the Chargers are pretty solid on special teams, hopefully they can execute and be a factor in this game.

I do think the Chargers COULD win this game...but I really can't see it happening. I don't know of Tomlinson can reel of 192 against this defense, even as 'battered' as the media makes it out to be. It be nice to not see Brees throw a pick, but I think he is going to be good for at least one...

I think Patriots are going to win - although I hope I'm wrong - 31-20.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hehe =)