Wednesday, April 20, 2005

The 2005 NFL Draft and The San Diego Chargers

I'm the first to admit that I don't follow college football all that much and I really don't have a desire to 'track' talent. I'll occassionally look at one of the 7 billion mock drafts that are out there, but I just smirk and think about all the time whomever spent to put together a mock draft...a MOCK DRAFT. What value does a mock draft have? Really nothing except to occupy the time of those that have only one objective in life...to follow the NFL fanatically...which is fine...good for you.

Anyways, now to my point... I know nor do I care about the 'talent' of this year's draft pool because every year there are busts and sleepers...the rest of the players sift out to be your average to adequate NFL players. So I view all the draft hype as just that, hype. Since there is no NHL and the NBA hasn't started it's playoffs this year it has been a particularly slow time for the sports world, so ESPN might as well hype the draft...which they do anyways.

Here's what I think the Chargers are going to do, and because I know no names, will give none! (So there!).

I think the Chargers are going to use their 2 first round picks, 12th and 28th overall. I would like to see them get either a safety, wide reciever or defensive tackle/lineman. Since Rodney Harrison was let go - a move I didn't like - the Chargers haven't had consistent play at safety. Sammy Davis a converted CB playing safety, isn't big enough and got hurt often. He is a good cover guy and should be kept there. Signing McCardell is good and if Caldwell is back to 100% at the start of the season, the Chargers look to be solid at WR's but there isn't much depth. I like Parker and Osgood but both seemed to play better when Caldwell or McCardell were the primary threat. So it would be nice to get a young WR to work into the system and if either of the top 2 go down a reliable replacement is already in place and giving the Chargers a little more depth at that position. Defensive lineman/tackle is a no-brainer and I think will no-doubtedly be a position the Chargers fill with one of their first two picks. For the past two years the Chargers have lacked any sort of pass rush. The secondary is greatly improving and if the Chargers could get any sort of pass rush going the defense will be impregnable.

Other areas I think the Chargers could address is the offensive line. It is relatively young, but just beginning to gel. But again depth. Tomlinson last season was as effective as any other...down from 2003, but played injured for 6 weeks or so. If the Chargers could more effectively open up the middle of the field for Tomlinson, he could very well threaten some offensive records.

What is great about the Chargers situation more than many of the previous pre-draft moods, is that the Chargers look good. Their team overall is solid. It is relatively young and has proven players at the skills position. Having 2 first round picks and cap room the hope for all Charger fans that come fall of 2005 we see some new faces mixed with our proven players leading the San Diego Chargers to the AFC West Championship and on to the Super Bowl.

No comments: