Monday, August 02, 2010

2010 NFL Season: First Impressions

The 2010 NFL season is fast approaching and with it, so does the 'buzz' of the sports media world. Being a Charger fan, I have regretfully accepted the fact that I will be disappointed by the Chargers, yet again, but that doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy the NFL any less than I ever have. There have been a couple of things this offseason that I wanted to address...

First, the impending lockout next season...what I don't get about this is that the owners and the players are both pretty content on not playing football next season...at least that is the 'buzz' that the major sports media continue to tout. By appearances, it seems to be an accurate assessment and by appearances I mean the players that are holding out and wanting long term deals...essentially to guarantee a paycheck after 2011...whereas teams, and I would say like the Chargers, that knew the 2010 season was a pivotal season and had many of the younger players locked up through the 2010 season ... is it wrong not to feel sorry for these guys who signed a contract and now want a new, longer deal rather than fulfilling their current contract? Not to mention all three of the Charger holdouts (Merriman, Jackson and McNeil) had a $3+ million dollar tender to play this year. Tough to feel sad for these guys who think they deserve more when what they were offered, originally, was plenty...

But I digress...my true point here is that this is just idiotic that the NFL and the NFLPA can't hammer out a deal before a lockout happens. By not playing a season is that really proving a point and if so, what is the point it is proving and who wins? I really don't want to take sides in this debate, but like the most recent NHL labor dispute and stoppage, I sided with the owners who wanted a salary cap whereas the players had originally stated they would never accept a cap of any sort...they eventually caved and the NHL resumed playing. From what I have heard, NFLPA has stated that they wanted a bigger share of profits...under the current agreement the NFLPA gets 51% of the profits already and they want more. The players' reps will come out and state how much money the league and the owners make all on the backs of their athletes and thus they deserve the lion's share of the profit...of course, without the wealth of the owners and the league the players wouldn't be making peanuts ... so at first glance I am leaning towards favoring the owners position...but make no mistake...if a lockout happens, I will blame both sides because both sides allowed the lockout to happen.

Now on to my early thoughts...

Dallas Cowboys hype...I guess I don't know what I missed but for some reason the Dallas Cowboys have become the media's favorite team. I can't turn the sports talk radio station knob fast enough to avoid all the love that is being showered upon the Cowboys. I'm not so sold on the Cowboys and I have two words as to why: Tony Romo. For some reason the media has thrust greatness and composure onto Tony Romo as if has done something to earn such accolades, but he hasn't done jack-squat and I would say, is just the opposite. I compare Tony Romo to Kevin Garnett. A good player at their position...heck, even All-Star caliber, but when the game is on the line these guys want nothing to do with the rock and the bigger the game the more they fold. Sure the Cowboys could be good but they need a different player to step up to lead this team...Tony Romo is not a leader and the media has tried to make him one.

New York Jets hype...with every move the Jets made this offseason - taking 2 Chargers nonetheless, it seemed as if the media had an orgasm. Add to it that the Jets made it to the AFC Championship game (beating an over-rated Charger squad) the Jets, the media and their fans expect nothing less than a Super Bowl trip. I hate to rain on their parade but the Chargers weren't too upset to let Tomlinson or Cromartie go to the Jets. Tomlinson coming off his worst season as a pro in a steady decline from his career high in 2006 and Cromartie, who is seen as 'soft' and will often avoid contact and easily confused with fast moving offenses are both moves that really shouldn't add any stock to the Jets but yet does...for some reason.

Indianapolis Colts hype...I guess it really shouldn't be 'hype' because a person could pick the Colts for the Super Bowl every year for the past 8 or so years and be right almost half the time. What it really proves is how good Peyton Manning is and how much he can carry that team. The Colts just need to get their defense into shape for a playoff run and they always could be a factor if Manning is taking the snaps.

Favrewatch 2010 - more subdued this year...probably because everyone knows that Favre will be coming back. If he would come out to say he is going to retire and not play...HOLY SHIT! ESPN and the rest of the world would truly be shocked...but with the lockout likely next season, he might as well wrap up his career with one more season...hopefully he ends it with an interception like he has ended more than one of his recent seasons...

No comments: