Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Wimbledon '08 Underway

Wimbledon started on Monday and I have been fortunate enough to watch quite a few matches thanks to DirecTV and the Tennis Channel. There are 6 live court feeds and the Tennis Channel is replaying matches during primetime...so it has been really tough to actually not watch Wimbledon coverage!

Today I tuned in time to watch the final set and 1/2 from the Safin-Djokovic match...Djokovic looked totally beaten and dejected, double-faulting on match point(!?!?!)...whereas Safin looked like the Safin of late 2000 when he won the US Open and was the number 1 ranked player in the world. But Safin has had the skills that could beat anyone on any given day...but his mental game hinders him as to where he could lose to anyone on any given day.

Also, Djokovic...this guy has been rammed down my throat as the 'next best guy'...oh sure, he won the Australian Open this year but let's be real...the Australian Open is the 'small pig' on the list of majors to have on your resume....yes, you want to make sure you win at least one for the career grand slam but there really isn't much other 'honor' than winning the warmup tournament of tennis which happens to be labeled a major. I do want to like Djokovic, but he seems to be just a better James Blake... player that can consistantly make it to the semi's yet lose.

I watched Roger Federer beat Robin Soderling over the lunch break...Soderling did break Rog in the 3rd set, but Rog broke Soderling to get back on serve at 5-5, the set went to a tiebreak and Rog was up 5-0 before closing the deal (I think) 7-2. I like Federer and I think he is playing well...this match with Soderling, Rog was able to ratchet up his game to save a set point, get back on serve and then dominate the tiebreak.

I have been paying attention to the women's side, but really haven't had a chance to watch any matches...I'm a Sharapova fan and she is an underdog these days so I'll try to follow her through the tourney...

I'm watching the Igor Andreev-David Ferrer match this afternoon via the internet here, not a bad way to spend an afternoon at work...

No comments: