Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Penguins Rally, Win In 3 OT

Last night's game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals was exactly the type of game everyone loves to watch... The Penguins jump out to an early 2-0 lead. The Wings take a 3-2 lead in the third period and the Penguins then score with about 30 seconds left in the game with an empty net at their backs. The game goes to a third overtime where it is finally ended when Petr Sykora notched the game winner.

And what I also wanted to mention...since I am very critical of the media and the way their coverage is on a variety of shows but I rarely mention when I notice someone doing a good job and that is what I am saying... though the first 3 Stanley Cup games that NBC has carried, I think they have done a fantastic job. They have quick, and appropriate replays, multiple angles and overall, have just been really solid. Their commentators aren't dolts, the play-by-play and color, during the game, has been good, Mike Emrick is pretty good at pbp for hockey...but his interview and off-the-cuff, non-game related banter is a little weak but as long he stays within his realm of pbp, I think he is solid as well.

So I did want to give some props to NBC...a network that as of last year, I thought, didn't give 2 shits about the NHL. But they definitely are gettting their money's worth this year with this final and NBC is no-doubtedly helping the NHL with the quality broadcasts that they are putting together for the finals.

No comments: