Wednesday, March 05, 2008

American Idol Jumped The Shark; Viewers Awakening

I really don't pay a lot of attention to how many hits my blog receives at any given time. But it seems that every year for the past few years I've noticed that from late January until the end of the May sweeps the visitors to my blog increase and this year it has been a dramatic increase. So, being the curious individual that I am, I did a little investigating and have found out why... American Idol has started up again and this year it seems as if more and more people have grown tired of American Idol or actually have gotten a clue and realized that the show is just a glorified karaoke competition...but who was the first (to my knowledge) to point this out? Me of course! And because I have been the original, and probably the only person in America at the time, to express an open disdain for the lame show back in '05 with my first rant "Why American Idol Sucks" I have begun to attract others that agree with that sentiment. A simple search with the phrase: "American Idol Sucks" in Yahoo or Google will garner you a few other articles by others...but none with the clear and concise title that they are now seeking...Why American Idol Sucks.

Yes, I am sure that I am getting a fair amount of viewers that still love the show and simply think that this season sucks and want to know why...but little do they know that the show has always sucked and will continue to suck even more...those folks are on the fence. But there are those that have finally had enough of the show. Their eyes have been opened and they have been drawn to the 'dark side' and are willing to join my ever growing legion of people that think the show sucks. I am sure the show will remain popular with 13 year-old girls but I think it has officially "jumped the shark"...that is, it's glory days are a thing of the past and it is just a matter of time before it will no longer be the 'sensation' that it once was. I do know from my personal observations that I hear and see less talk about American Idol in general then in years past so I think the downward slide is in full gear...and I am pleased about it.

No comments: