Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Charger Preview & Prediction

Well, I best get on the record as to how I think the Chargers are going to do this season...

I'll start out by saying that I think the Chargers schedule is considerably easier than it was last season. Of course starting out in Oakland in week 1 and having an early bye week (week 3) may seem as the contrary. But out of their first 8 games only Pittsburgh seems as the only really 'tough' game. Of course Kansas City is in there and being a division foe will no doubtedly be tough. If the Chargers can emerge at 6-2 or better would be paving the way for a potential playoff run. Of course though, the second half of their schedule is a bit tougher, of course the donkeys (Broncos) twice, Cincinnatti and Seattle will be no easy games so I would love to see the Chargers out of the gate quick and better than 5-3 because all their games on paper look winnable - remember they should have beat the Steelers last year in the regular season. And although the first part of the season is not make or break for the Chargers it certainly means they would be more or less likely to make the playoffs as to how they emerge from their first 8 games this season.

But the Chargers can not rely on the schedule, it's the team that needs to win the games and I think the team is good. I think the secondary is better than it was last year by drafting Antonio Cromartie with their first pick and picking up free agent safety Marlon McCree. Of course the loss of Steve Foley will have an impact on the linebacking corps, but the Chargers are pretty deep at that position and may stop trying to shop Donnie Edwards around. I think the defense is better because they improved their secondary.

Now on the offensive side of the ball there are some question marks. Of course the biggest one being Phillip Rivers. Is he going to get the job done? I think it simply comes down to the offensive line and there again, lies some question marks. The offensive line was not very good last year. The Chargers essentially have the same line with a rookie (Marcus McNeil) starting at left tackle. If the line can pass protect well I think Rivers will do fine. But then we come to the next question mark on offense, the receivers. Keneen McCardell we all know is solid, but he is getting old. I like what I saw in Malcom Floyd in the preseason and Vincent Jackson is another young, big receiver...but will either see any time or make an impact? Eric Parker is slated as the number 1 reciever with McCardell at #2. Parker's speed is unquestioned and he has accumulated the experience where this could be his break out year. Rivers has been touted as to having a better arm and deep-ball threat than Brees so it would be great to see some long passes to take some pressure off of the offensive line and give Tomlinson some room to run.

Of course we can not overlook the 'studs' on the Chargers offense, Antonio Gates and LaDanian Tomlinson. I think both are going to be solid contributors to the offense...duh... and really it will come down to the coaching to make sure that both Tomlinson and Gates are used to effectively move the ball down the field. And that is probably my biggest concern. I have not been satisfied with the coaching of Marty Schottenheimer since the Jets loss in the playoffs 2 years ago. I don't like a lot of the play calling when the Chargers are in the lead in a game when it is late. I think the offense gets over conservative and too much pressure is put on the defense and that really needs to change for the team to have any success in big games.

I seriously think the Chargers should challenge for the AFC West title. I also think they should go 11-5. But I think it is important for the Chargers to win as many of their first 8 games as possible, as does every team but the difference with the Chargers is that I think they could legitimately do so.

No comments: