Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Random Thoughts

Ok, here's another edition of some random thoughts from myself:

1. The weather forecasters in my region are HORRIBLE. So 2 weeks ago they totally blew forecasting a fairly substantial ice storm/blizzard, the first of the season...which is typical. So what does the National Weather Service (which every media-forecaster reitterates) do from here on out? Forecast a storm/blizzard days in advance. I wake up this morning to find out that our region is under a Winter Storm Watch... nevermind that it is 34 degrees outside, snow is melting and there is no wind. This Winter Storm Watch is essentially in effect until February because they don't know if/when it will ever actually strike, but this way they can at least say they warned us in advance...

2. Christmas. As I've gotten older and more cynical, I really don't care about Christmas. I NEVER get anything I really want because anything I really want is either too expensive for anyone to buy it for me or I already bought it for myself. But having kids really does remind me of when I was younger and how exciting it really is. My wife and I wrapped presents last night and put them under the tree and the kids were all abuzz this morning. My 3 year-old son was ready to start opening them up right then.

3. The new rules in the NHL, to me, is making the game better. The shoot-outs are exciting and the action seems faster than ever. Now if the NHL would just rearrange their schedule so that their season ends in April rather than June, I think they'd really see more fan growth.

4. Has anyone ever scheduled a doctor's appointment and actually seen the doctor and left in a timely manner? I had an appointment yesterday and after only 10 minutes after my appointment was scheduled did a nurse come and do the preliminary stuff - I thought I would be in and out in a timely manner - WRONG. I then got to sit and wait for 45 minutes to see the doctor - which was an hour after my scheduled appointment... it never fails... I hate going to the doctor just for that fact that it is never timely. And I know that the doctor is probably taking care of someone more serious than myself or delivering a baby or doing brain surgery or whatever, but every time? Just once in my lifetime would I like to have a doctor's appointment that I don't have to block a 1/2 day out devoted to just waiting... I should smarten up and get a laptop or other portable device I can carry with that would help kill the time...

No comments: