Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Close To Normal

With the Labor Day Weekend gone by, my routine returns to as close to 'normal' as it can be, but football season does mean I'm working more weekends and generally a bit more work to be done each week to prepare for those games... as well as the occassional concert, theatre and trade show that take place in between games... I usually remain consistently busy from now until April/May...but it keeps me out of trouble!

Labor Day has traditionally meant that we go to the Western Minnesota Steam Threshers Reunion (WMSTR) in Rollag, MN with my parents. When I was young, we would travel from Bismarck to Rollag almost every Labor Day to go to the WMSTR...we started going in 1973.

It is the second largest exposition of old-time equipment in the nation. There are steam tractors, trains, steam powered saw-mills, minature land, a steam press, horse farm (everything is done by horse power), flour mill and more. It had rained early in the morning on Saturday so we waited until after lunch so the grounds could dry up a bit...and as a result might have been one of the best trips ever. Crowds were light, short lines for food and rides, although the managers of the event probably would have wanted more people, for us that did attend on Saturday, it was great. The past few times I have gone the weather was extraordinarily good and the crowd was large, meaning long waits for everything...so this was a pleasant change. This event was close to being like Christmas for my 3-year old son...he has yet to stop talking about the steamers...

Sunday was my fantasy football league darft, my starters are Tom Brady, Clinton Portis, Stephen Davis, Steve Smith, Derrick Mason, Antonio Gates, Nate Kaeding and Baltimore Defense. A 14 team league means it gets pretty thin at RB in a hurry... I also have Tatum Bell. After the draft the drinkfest continued, with my wife even coming out to join us. Monday then was devoted to hanging with the kids and a nice nap in the afternoon with an early bed time so I feel well rested today at work...

No comments: