Monday, August 10, 2009

Ortiz Rolls Out Same Old Excuse; Leyland Tired Of Roid Talk

So David Ortiz, the latest victim of a 2003 steroid list leaking, held a press conference on Saturday to answer questions about his positive steroid test and offered up one of the excuses that has been used over and over again..."I only took vitamins and supplements...but not steroids." Of course when it comes out what specific steroid he was one, he will of course stick with that excuse and say the supplements were tainted or whatever... but the bottom line is, his excuse is about as believable as all the rest of the roid users and that is not at all...

And Jim Leyland, the manager of the Detroit Tigers, spoke out yesterday that he is sick and tired of all the steroid talk and that he believes Ortiz did not take steroids because he (Ortiz) said so. To me, it sounds like Leyland is just trying to do what the MLBPA and probably most others associated with MLB would like to happen right now...for everything to get swept under the rug and lets just move on. But what Leyland and the roid users don't realize, is that fans don't want to idolize and cheer for cheaters. I remember cheering for Mark McGwire in 1998 as he was going after Roger Maris' record thinking how I am witnessing an extremely historical moment. After the steroid story broke open and it was revealed that all these incredible numbers were all artificially produced, I felt like I was lied too and that entire season, all the time I put into following the homerun chase, was just a complete waste.

I too am sick and tired of steroids, but to quell my disdain for MLB and the steroid era, nothing short of a big eraser and/or asterisks will satisfy me. I refuse to accept any records posted from 1995-2004 by any player...as time has gone on, all it has proven is that every 'great' player during this era used steroids... I see no need to continue to glorify and accredit these players with anything other than cheating.

No comments: