Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Super Bowl XLIII Afterthoughts

So it's been almost 2 full days since the Super Bowl ended, so things are slowly returning to normal.


Overall, I thought the game was alright...but I do think the officiating did it's best to insure the Cardinals lost.  The 2 horrible calls, against the Cards, in the third quarter were just ridiculous ... the 'roughing the passer' call on a third and long when everyone in the world was expecting an intentional grounding call and then a roughing the kicker call when the Cardinal player was running into the holder, not the kicker, on a Pittsburgh field goal attempt were the officials making sure no one forgets who really determines the outcome of the games.  Sure, they put their whistles away after both of those horrible calls, but the damage was already done.

I also am beginning to think there is a calculated effort to make the Super Bowl game close and exciting.  For many years, from the 80's through the 90's, most Super Bowls seemed to have been over by halftime ... now, there hasn't been a blowout Super Bowl in such a long time, most everyone almost expects a good, close game.

I didn't pay attention to a single commercial, but from most of the 'buzz' from those that still care about the commercials said that most sucked...as usual.  Which gets me to my other point ... how many Super Bowls need to happen with sucky commercials for people begin to no longer make any sort of deal about them?  I think it was in the '80's when a Super Bowl actually had a good set of commercials and since that time the Super Bowl ads have not lived up to the hype since ... but every year people get all stoked up to watch the commercials ... and year after year the commercials suck.  I am happy that I pay no attention to the commercials (or the halftime act) because the best thing that might possibly happen is that they won't suck...but not likely.

Downside to the Super Bowl... the Steelers won.  Now, I don't really have a problem with the Pittsburgh Steelers but I have always had a bit of angst for the Pittsburgh Steeler fans.  Several times in my life I have been at a location where multiple football games would be airing and fans would be watching their game... without question, one of the loudest, brashest and rudest group of fans are the Steeler fans.  I knew a guy who was an alright guy until he was watching the Steelers play football ... then he was a complete asshole ... no lie.  I would hang out with him all the time and have no issues with him, he was funny and a great guy to hang with, but I quickly learned that I could not watch football, more specifically, Pittsburgh games because this guy just morphed into a total dick.  So with the Steelers win, yet again, only will amplify the dickness of all these Steeler fans making it miserable for the rest of us...

Hopefully they don't make the playoffs next year and that will shut them up for a little while... or probably not...


No comments: