Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Award Shows Suck

So I've been stuck at what next to blog about... So many topics, so little time... Ok, so I have a lot of time, just too lazy to write about anything... So with the joke of the Academy Awards over, I figured I might as well tell the world why they suck...And you see, what I am saying, or about too, has already been said by someone, somewhere else, but these points are so true that it is just another observation of idiots in American society, so I feel compelled to do so...

Well, let's start with the actual 'awards' themselves... The awards are given out by the very industry that the candidates are employed in... So you see, this is stupid point one. The entire show and production is just a big party for themselves. So basically it is just a bunch of 'co-workers' getting together to tell each other how great everyone is.

Then lets get down to the substance of the award shows themselves... At one time I actually couldn't wait to watch the Grammy's and the Academy Awards...when they were under 8 1/2 hours in length and much simpler. The Grammy's have by FAR become the biggest farce of an award ceremony. Not only does Jethro Tull beat a metal band (Metallica) for best heavy metal band when the award was first introduced...but the Grammy's continue to add awards to fit almost any album that comes out and does relatively successful (by Grammy standards, which isn't much). I would be embarrassed if I was in the music industry for any length of time and not have won a Grammy by now. The Academy Awards are just as much of a joke that feel the need to make sure everyone is a winner. The Academy Awards have become so 'sensitive' that they no longer can say "...and the winner is". Boy, I am sure all the losers of an award go home feeling much better that no one was called a 'winner' on stage.

And since there is an award show to award award shows, that just shows how many and how stupid the whole award show thing is... it is like reality tv. Since the Academy Awards pull in such big ratings lets have the Golden Globes, Grammy's, Emmy's, Daytime TV Awards, MTV Music Awards (and how can MTV even award music video awards since they don't even play music videos anymore?), Hip-Hop Awards, Country Music Awards and so on and so on... I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the Reality TV Award show... I sure hope American Idol does well!

And to prove that anyone can win an award... I have worked on 2 documentaries that have won an Emmy and 1 other that won a Peabody. Is it cool? Sure. What did I get out of it... a handshake...

No comments: