Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Chargers New GM and Coach, First Thoughts

So the Chargers have finally shed themselves of AJ Smith and Norv Turner to the delight of many Charger fans, me included.  Of course there is always the fear that the team may get someone worse but for the Chargers getting "worse" was more than likely if they continued with those two bozos.

So who do the Chargers get to replace them...a couple of "new" guys to the mix.  GM Tom Telesco and coach Mike McCoy.  I really don't know too much about either one of them so they will get the benefit of the doubt from me until I see more of what they do to the team.  I will say that I am a little apprehensive about Mike McCoy who was the offensive coordinator for the Broncos.  I typically don't like coaches that were once a coordinator on a team that had some success ... and the Chargers should know that much of the "success" the Broncos have had is because they play in one of the easiest, softest divisions in the NFL for the past couple seasons...the AFC West.

I will say that I would rather start with two guys that haven't already been in the NFL and have failed with the likes of Norv Turner, Wade Phillips, Josh McDaniels, Ken Whisenhunt, etc.  I think having a "fresh face, fresh approach" around the Chargers in both these positions is already a positive change.  Hope can hopefully reenter the locker room and the players return to playing with a purpose...something that Norv Turner could not get the Chargers to do.

So with that, my final statement on these hirings is that I will reserve judgement until further notice.


No comments: