Tuesday, January 29, 2013

21st Century Children - I'm Not Walking!

My second installment of comparing my children's childhood experiences with my own was inspired by today's weather and subsequent "demands" needed from my daughter. It snowed last night a fair amount...probably a good 6 inches.  It's not cold and it's not windy. And for this installment I am actually going to do a broad age range for it deals with giving my daughter a ride to school...

First, I would like to detail my "transportation" to and from school...first, for kindergarten, I walked to and from school every day, it was 5 blocks.  My mother walked me to school on the first day of school and that was the last time any adult walked to or from school with me my entire school years.  For elementary school, it was sweet, about 1 block plus we had an alley that we could take to a catwalk...for some reason lots of stuff did happen on that short 1 block walk because rocks, debris, water, snow, mud, etc... all could be found on that walk.  But those were the "good ole days" once junior high hit, my parents felt the need to enroll us (my older sister and younger brother as well as myself) into parochial school and for 7th & 8th grade the catholic school they sent us too was all the way across town, as I Google map it today to get the distance, it measures 1.9 miles.  Here were my options for 7th and 8th grade, for a ride to school, I could get one but I would be there almost an hour before the school starts, at 7:00 AM, plus need to be ready to leave the house by 6:45 AM.  Or walk and leave the house at 7:15 AM.  I did usually take the ride, but after getting to school I remember some long, cold, boring mornings standing outside the school waiting for anyone to come...and I mean LONG, COLD and BORING mornings...I could have chosen to go to early mass, but I would rather stand outside in the cold then go to church. After school, if it wasn't basketball or football season, I would usually walk...and regardless of what the weather was.  Of course we all can remember junior high and this is the beginning of kids beginning to be conscience of what they are wearing and doing and are trying to "look cool" and of course one of the things you do to "look cool" in North Dakota (when your in junior high) is to wear light clothing, no hats, no gloves and certainly no boots during the winter time.  I recall having to walk home when the temps were subzero with no gloves, basically a sweatshirt and sneakers...I got frostbite on both of my earlobes and too this day they will sting when it gets extremely cold, always a reminder of that walk on that day.  During the sports season, after practice, I could wait an hour and get a ride from my father who got off work at 6 or walk...again, I usually walked.  Plus, for football, I would walk 6 (long) blocks to the practice field, practice for an hour and half, then walk back the school, change and then walk home.  Yes, for two years, 7th and 8th grade, were some tough hikes and a miserable time for me...I hated it every day.  Then high school came...my sister had her license by the time I started high school, so I got a ride to school with her for my first two years.  She would give me a ride, but she required me to go out and start her car and scrape any ice off of it before we could leave.  After school, I would usually walk, but the walk now was considerably shorter, just a mere 10 or so blocks...seemed like a pleasant stroll.  And of course by the time I was done with my sophomore year I had a job and was on my way to my first car to end the walks forever.  Throughout my school years, though, never did I ever think I was "entitled" to a ride nor could I just flat out and demand I get a ride when I want one..and when I say when, I mean EXACTLY when I want a ride...not 20 minutes later, not 5 minutes, NOW.

Now we can compare that with my daughter's experience...and as I've said before, I'm not here to judge and declare one was better than the other, just my observation of how the times have changed. First off, the schools my daughter attends are all relatively close, the elementary school is 3 blocks away, the junior high is 10 blocks and the high school 14 blocks.  My daughter has never had to walk to school and at least 50% of the time things work out where she has gotten a ride home from school.  But today is one of those days where she likely will not be able to get a ride.  As I mentioned to begin this post we had a bit of snow last night, but the temperatures are mild and there isn't even a breeze.  After telling my daughter that I would not be able to give her a ride home today she replied "But some people won't even have their sidewalks shoveled when I get done with school." and that's why she is DEMANDING a ride home from school...because some sidewalks might not be shoveled off for her.  Now of course, if she would be willing to wait at school for a half hour, she could get a ride...but no, not the 21st children.  I am done with school at 2:52 and if I can't get a ride at 2:52 I will walk home and let you know how you ruined my life, my shoes, my coat and now I'm sick and you have to pay, pay, pay, and pay!


No comments: