Thursday, January 26, 2012

Slacking IX: Early Shift

Continuing with my "slacking" series, my latest installment is about working the "early shift" but really could be any shift that you are able to work essentially by yourself.

I am not a "morning person" but, I suspect most people aren't either and I once had a job that required me to be at work at 4:30 AM each and every morning...yes, 4:30 in the morning. But the upside to this was the fact that for essentially the first 3 and half hours, I was by myself and even then, it usually took people an hour or two to get "warmed" up, so I was usually left alone for the first four hours of my shift...and it was great.

When I had this position it was before the internet and many of the time wasting luxuries of today and that is a key component for this to work for you.  You need to be comfortable being by yourself.  Then if you are able to do any amount of "busy work" that makes it look like you are doing something during your time by yourself, very rarely will new or additional tasks be sent your way.  You will also want to make sure you appear "busy" when there are people present and you can certainly refer to any of the other slacking suggestions I have posted to help you with that.

No comments: