Thursday, August 11, 2011

Preseason Game 1, No Fantasy Football For Me

Tonight is the night many a football fan has been waiting for...the kickoff of the 2011 season...sure, it is just the preseason but just a few weeks ago we weren't sure when we would get to see our favorite NFL team back on the field.

As per usual, I won't spend much time watching or dissecting preseason football games but I will DVR the Charger-Seahawk game tonight and likely zip through it.  If Rivers and any starters play, I will likely pay more attention to those plays but overall, not grade the game as anything special, regardless of the outcome.

The 2011-12 season will also be an unique season for me...after 15 years of running a fantasy football league, I decided (last season) to disband the league and am not participating in any "serious" fantasy football league(s) at all.  Although, I don't think it will really be that big of a change for me since, to me, fantasy football was always secondary to me.  What could really be a blessing, now, is the fact that I will no longer have to care about almost every game because of fantasy football ramifications. 

I'm already debating on whether or not I just say screw it and not make any attempt to go out and watch football on Sundays, most of my friends stop going about week 6 and I am now thinking of not going out at all...even for week 1.  I know I might get some crap from my friends on week 1, but these are the same friends that stop watching football before November, so I really won't feel too bad about it.  I'll still get to see the Chargers play every game and since no other games matter to me, why do I really need to go out to watch them all anyways?

Even though those are my early thoughts, I will probably get coaxed into going out on week 1...but again, with no fantasy football amongst my friends, as well, maybe their interest in going will not be as great either...we'll see.


1 comment:

Anthony Hopper said...

Personally, I enjoy the social aspect of watching games at a restaurant or bar (usually Buffalo Wild Wings). I think the camaraderie (or hatred if you happen to one of the few people in the place rooting for a team) adds something to the game watching experience.

Anthony