Friday, September 10, 2010

First Smartphone - Droid X

I have finally taken the plunge...I got my first "smartphone" this past week, a Droid X. Why is this such a big deal for me?

Well, for starters, I have been very "frugile" with my cell phone needs ... I have paid only for the cheapest package and have never once even exceeded the call limits. I also had held off on getting a smartphone because there really didn't seem like a phone that used the internet well and the internet, also, didn't seem like it was very "mobile friendly". But with the new Droid phones out like the Droid X that has all changed...

What makes the Droid X (and other Droid phones) appealing is all the apps a person can get for the phone and in turn, when you want to run said app, you simply touch it and it is running. With it being ran on Google's OS, which is open source, there are a ton of free apps and more appearing daily...

I already love having Pandora on my phone...I use to have an MP3 player hooked up to my car's stereo, now I use my phone and listen to "satellite radio" from Pandora as I drive. Another cool feature is that it has Google Maps and Navigation built into the phone for free...so you essentially have a car GPS system at no extra charge...unfortunately, I live in a place where I don't need GPS...but I can hardly wait to plan a trip to a large metro area just to see how lost that can get me...

I really haven't left the house with the phone but that will change this weekend when I go out with my friends to watch football...it will be great to track my fantasy teams and get scores...but, as with all phones that seem to do a lot, it will likely drain the battery of the phone and the more a person wants to use their phone's features, the shorter the time that the phone can stay powered up and the next thing you know you won't even be able to receive or make phone calls because of a dead battery. I've heard people buying pocket rapid chargers or keeping their phone plugged in as much as possible... I'm thinking of just getting a second battery and keeping that in my car to swap as needed...but I'll see how long the phone will last with my usage and decide from there.

I also think I can finally "use" Twitter the way it was meant to be...that is as a portable medium. I never had a device that I could quickly fire off a "Tweet". I would have to go to my computer, goto twitter, login and then post my Tweet...the process was just to cumbersome to be used effectively by me. So for starters, I pared down who I was following (just so I don't get a new Tweet every 2 seconds) but can foresee that list growing as I discover people that I do indeed want to "follow". But the end result is that I likely will be "Tweeting" more often...not sure who cares or not, but I figured I'd swim a little deeper in that pool...or at least that is what I am intending to do...I often intend to do a lot of things and never do.

And many people have had bad experiences with their cell phone provider, I have had just the opposite with Verizon Wireless. I have been with Verizon for about 6 years now and have not had 1 lick of trouble. I, at one time, thought that the Verizon store was the best place to get my phone and accessories...now I do it all online. The phone was cheaper online and shipped to me, free, overnight. The Droid X was out of stock and I was originally told that I would get it by September 15th...I got it Sep. 7...over a week early. I have never not had service, I have never had a dropped call and anytime I have had to alter some detail with my plan, it has always been handled very well. Sometimes people regrettably pay for some service and know they are signing up for headaches...I have never been disappointed in handing my money to Verizon for their service.

No comments: