Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Office: Jumped The Shark, What Else Is On?

Something I haven't done in a while is comment on the television I've been watching and what made me think of doing so was a continuing discussion I have had with some co-workers...

I have watched The Office on NBC for several seasons and have seen every episode now and up until mid-way through last season the show has been pretty good, but this season we have mostly agreed that The Office is on the decline and it is almost accelerating every episode...I use to be excited to see the latest episode and I think by season's end I could very likely not even be a viewer anymore... The show, which was a comedy has quickly switched gears and is more of a dramedy now and becoming more of a drama then a comedy... Pam and Jim got married and the show deemed it fit to essentially strip them of their characteristics that made viewers like them...Pam is a mean, sour bitch now and Jim is serious and unfunny. Micheal Scott, once a likable awkward person is now a pathetic, pitiful person. The show has centered around those three characters and the comedy has all but been sucked out from the show... There is usually a side-plot involving Andy and Dwight that will provide the 'comedy' portion for the show but is too light and never seems all that funny...likely because it is inserted in-between some 'serious' plot scene involving the primary three... The Office, had a good run but like M*A*S*H and Cheers the show began as a comedy and evolved into more of a drama ... that's when I lose interest and have already begun to do so with this latest show...

On the upside, I've discovered Secret Girlfriend on Comedy Central. A show that is right up my alley... no morals and mostly nonsense. You are the 'star' of the show...which is seen from the view of the camera... each half hour show is made up of 2 15-minute episodes...not sure if girls would like this show because it is mostly 'guy humor' ... beer, girls, computers, pot.... etc... but regardless, is hilarious, imo. If there is now one show I am anxious to see the new episode(s) of, it is Secret Girlfriend...

I continue to watch "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" which, this season, I think has been fairly good. The show continues to be a silly show that a person will gain nothing from by watching...a show that I can enjoy. It's probably offensive to most moral people because they seem to make fun of most any and everything they can.

I have watched most of the "Parks And Recreation" series and I don't think it is too bad. Louis C.K. has been a regular guest star lately playing a character that is unlike his comedy or his previous character on his HBO show. Tom and Andy are my favorite characters on the show and need to start living together for complete hilarity...

My son (7 years-old) and I watch Human Wrecking Balls on G4 ... new season started last night and my boy was pumped. What could be cooler then destroying a helicopter with your bare hands? He also enjoys Mythbusters a lot so I usually spend some time to watch that show with him as well...

But, since I acquired my DVR a few years ago, I rarely watch any of these shows at their regularly scheduled time and besides, sitting through commercials is so boring, I usually watch most of my television a day or two late...I'm constantly saying, "Was that on last night? Good, then it's waiting on the DVR for me!" I still do not have an HD set up yet and won't get one for at least another year or 2 if I can help it... my children still destroy most everything in the house so it would be foolish to get something like that to only have my kids ruin it...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that Pam and Jim are now ruining the show. Such a shame....