Thursday, April 24, 2008

Vikings: Super Bowl XLIII Champions

Living in a region where you are not a fan of the 'local' team is oftentimes very interesting...then you add the fact that I live in Minnesota Viking land, then it becomes even more interesting... for you see, as long as I have been alive the Minnesota Vikings have led their fans on the ultimate roller coaster ride...taking them to unbelievable highs but then come crashing down in almost an instant... 4 time Super Bowl losers with 0 wins, in 1998 the Vikes set the single season scoring record and with Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss the Vikes looked to be unstoppable on their way to the Super Bowl but an overtime loss to the Atlanta Falcons in the NFC Championship ended that dream...just to 'highlight' a couple of Viking despairs...

So a person would think that the majority of Viking fans would approach each and every season with some optimism but also with reasonable expectations...everyone can hope that their team will go to the Super Bowl but should they expect it? Absolutely not... But Viking fans are a different breed...never have I met so many fans of one team that have the same skewed expectations...and that may be due to the local media pushing a point of view but I find it hard to believe that ALL Viking fans belong to some sort of brainwashing clan...of course there are some exceptions to this rule, like my father. A lifelong Viking fan but goes into each and every NFL season with absolutely no hope of the Vikes doing good and for 30 years now has not been disappointed...his famous line to me is "Don't ever bet on the Vikes." Sure, you can bet on the Vikes and win some money, but the second you think the Vikes are the "sure thing", a total lock...they will no-doubtedly disappoint.

So the Vikes sign Jared Allen yesterday, yes a notable acquisition for the team...you then turn on the local radio stations and I was expecting hear Viking glee about Allen and how well he will improve the team...it is to be expected. But is this what I hear? No... the first thing I hear when tuning in the sports talk station is a caller discussing the trade with the talk show host...the host asks the caller "Would you be satisfied with a 14-2 season for the Vikes next year as they are now picked to do?" - well, first let me address the question itself...14-2 as they are now picked to do? Who is NOW picking the Vikes to go 14-2? Oh sure, it is probably the host of the show but are you kidding me? You already have the Vikes picked to go 14 and 2? Well, good to know you don't set the bar high at all... but here's the best part... the caller replies "Well, that would be alright and I wouldn't be TOO disappointed." Yes...that wouldn't be too disappointing for Viking fans because you see, the host actually is trying to lower the expectations of the fans of the Vikings to be 14-2 but the fans have already penciled in a perfect season for the Vikes and Super Bowl champs. Now sure, if this was just one person or an isolated incident, I would rule this as just a extreme case of homeritis. But callers continued to call in and essentially itterate that there should be no reason that the Vikes aren't the best team in the NFC if not the NFL!

Well Viking fans have the offseason to dream and prognosticate as to how well the team should be...but I don't know if there is any NFL team that I could definitively say will go 14-2 next year...nor would I even want to 'jinx' my favorite team by making such a extravagent claim...

I have talked to a couple of Viking 'realists' (as I like to refer to them) and are they pleased with the Allen signing, yes. But they are also quick to point out the last time they signed a player that was going to take them to the Super Bowl - Herschal Walker - things didn't work out so well for the Vikes but their trading partner, the Dallas Cowboys, sure liked the deal.

The thing I don't like about this deal, the most, is the benefactor of all the new talent will be the Chargers division rival the Chiefs... if this trade is the fuel for the Chiefs to dominate the AFC West in the near future it will force me to develop some hatred towards the Vikes...right now, only their fans bother me...even despite last year's embarassing Charger-Viking game I witnessed, I really haven't developed that much angst against the team itself...but that could certainly change!

No comments: