Thursday, January 03, 2008

NFL Playoff Picks

So the playoffs start this weekend so I thought I would make public my predictions...and what I really should say, my hopeful predictions because let's be honest here, is anyone NOT going to pick the Patriots? So, I will preface my picks with that...that is, I think the Patriots are probably the best team in the NFL and really have no excuse to not win it all...but it is the NFL and anything can happen so with that...

I'd like to start with Jacksonville. The Jags are a team that I think could go all the way...provided they don't meet up with the Colts. For it seems the Colts have the Jags number. I think Pittsburgh is a little too beat up to play the physical Jaguars and the 'style' of ball the Jags play could actually be beneficial against the Patriots in the next round. But I do think the Jags could be a contender.

The Colts, the defending champs, have quietly taken care of business this season...escaping the media hype due to the Pats undefeated season. But losing Bob Freeney may be to much for this team...if one recalls last season, the Colts seemed to be two different teams when Bob Sanders was playing or not and Sanders was back in for the playoff run...the question now is, is Freeney that important for the Colts defense? I think against weaker teams the Colts are able to make due without Freeney, but I think against higher caliber teams and in the playoffs, it might become more evident that his absence will affect their overall defense. I think the Colts may play the part of the Chargers this playoffs and lose their first and only playoff game after garnering a bye and home field.

I really don't see the Titans or the Steelers doing much in the playoffs...sure they could each win their first playoff game in an upset, but I don't think either team is built to do much more....especially the Titans. The Titans have a solid defense but an offense that is less then impressive.

Finally in the AFC, the Chargers - which I admit I am bias towards - are too unpredictable to know for sure what will happen but there is no question the defense has played much better the latter half of the season then in the beginning. But the Charger offense continues to be a portion of what was displayed last year. The offensive line is still fairly weak and Phillip Rivers looks worse than ever. But, playing a Titan's team that doesn't seem to score much and comes in with several injuries, this seems to favor the Chargers. The Chargers would have to go to Indianapolis next and the Chargers seem to have the Colts number...earlier this season the Chargers escaped with a win versus the Colts, in which Manning threw 6 interceptions (career high) and it was just a couple of years ago when the Colts were 13-0 and the Chargers came to Indy and snapped their win streak...so, by appearances, the Chargers seem to match up well against the Colts...and then if the Jags can bang up the Pats the Chargers would no doubtedly be looking for revenge for last year's playoff loss to the Pats as well as this year's earlier beat down the Pats gave to the Chargers. But do I think this outcome is likely? Absolutely not.

On the NFC side of the ball there is more mediocrity amongst the teams then in the AFC which means the more chance for upsets...but let's be real.... the Cowboys are the only team on the NFC that I will place any faith upon consistency. I think Green Bay totally over-achieved and with no running game, I don't know if Favre has enough magic (aka: luck) to carry the Packers much farther. Giants, Bucs, Skins and Seahawks...you could literally put all four of those teams in a hat and draw out the winners... I think they all have to be about a pick'em in the odds, not?

I think the Bucs and Skins should make it out of the first round but the Cowboys and Packers will be waiting for them. Cowboys Packers NFC Championship with the Cowboys winning that because they will be able to control the ball.

So to summarize a bit here... what do I think will happen: Patriots vs Cowboys in the Super Bowl, which is the obvious picks of probably 95% of football prognosticators. But what do I see potentially happening? - Chargers or Jaguars vs Cowboys and yes, I am picking 2 AFC teams but I am ruling that I get to because both the Chargers and Jags would have to pull upsets to get to the Super Bowl...the sad part for the Chargers would be that I don't know if they could win the Super Bowl against the Cowboys...Wade Phillips built the Charger defense and I am assuming that he will know how to attack it...similarly to the Oakland-Tampa Bay Super Bowl in which Jon Gruden faced off against the team he put together and beat them fairly handedly.

No comments: