Monday, June 05, 2006

When Do I Get Spokesperson Money?

People that first meet me sometimes judge me fairly hastily as whining, complaining dick...and sure, I may give off that first impression. Those that get to know me and understand what I am basically talking about will (hopefully) not have that impression. I will often complain and gripe about things, but in reality, the things I complain/bitch about are things that are often times basic life 101 things that most people are willing to tolerate in today's society for no reason other than it apparently is accepted behavior now. But, when something/someone does something that counters today's trends, I am the first on the bandwagon and will taut their services/products to any and all people and here is yet another such instance... Direct TV.

Again, up until a year ago I had cable television. I had cable television from three different providers but they all essentially operated the same. You see, cable television at one time was a greatly sought after service and the cable television industry knew this. They (cable television companies) did not care about customer service or convenience for it's subscribers. No, if you had issues/problems with your cable tv it meant a telephone call where you sat on hold for an hour and then scheduled a service call that would occur sometime within the next year which also required you to be at home. Cable tv's 'installation' - which at one time I paid $60 for - was often times a person dropping off a few recievers, some coaxial cable and the bill...no actual 'installing' ever happening.

So again, here is another instance of what I think is just unbelievable great service... my daughter's DTV receiver was not receiving all the channels we subscribe too...so I look up the service number and right away I am hooked into an automated system...oh great I think, how long is this call going take? I punch in my phone number and the error code we are receiving on the tuner... the automated voice on the end of the line tells me to tune into a channel we should be receiving and in a few moments they would be doing some diagnostic testing...before that very sentence was even completed, BAM, the picture is on the television and everything is working just fine... a total time of about 60 seconds... incredible!

Of course there are the 'weather issues' that I have heard from a couple of other Direct TV users where they would lose reception during storms. In the 1 year that I have had Direct TV we have lost reception twice and probably for a total time of 20 minutes. Now whether or not that is because we haven't had strong enough storms yet or that I haven't been around to notice any other outages, I do not know. But as of this time, I know of people that subscribe to our local cable affiliate and have had more outages and downtime in the past year then I have by a considerable amount... so as of this time, I continue to praise and love the Direct TV!

No comments: