Friday, May 26, 2006

Cable TV Best Look Out

Almost a year ago I switched from cable tv to Direct TV and have really enjoyed Direct TV with no complaints. So yesterday I receive an email from Direct TV informing me that I am eligible to receive a free DVR. So what the heck I think, I call Direct TV up and order up the DVR which will be installed tomorrow. Here is why that whole experience is 1,000% more pleasant than any dealings I had with our local cable company and why I think cable tv, if they haven't already, will begin to see a decline for their services.

Well, we'll start out with the obvious...there is no way our cable company is giving away free DVR's in the first place. Cable raises their rates when they add channels to your tier, you look at the channels they added - touted as 30 new channels added to your basic teir - there are 25 home shopping networks, 2 community channels and 3 channels that focus around women...and not that women don't deserve more channels but I haven't been able to really spend any time watching the 18 current channels devoted to women...

After placing my request I am thinking that they will merely ship me the DVR and I will hook it up myself...but no. The first question to me was "How soon would you like this installed?" I about fell over. The last time the cable company 'installed' cable at my house it was them dropping off some coaxial cable and a bill for $60...thanks for the 'install'. But Direct TV pays someone to bring a DVR and hook it up to your TV...wow! And finally, the "How soon..." question... How soon? Are you actually saying I can say how soon I want this? Cable company response: We can have someone over next week but you will need to wait at home from 8 AM until 10 PM for service calls.

For so long cable companies could essentially dictate how 'good' their customer service should be...and to be honost it wasn't good at all. Every dealing I have had with Direct TV has been positive. I find it highly doubtful that I will ever go back to cable tv again....and I'm not really all that sad about it either.

No comments: