Thursday, June 09, 2005

Charger Fans Shouldn't Show Optimism

Yes, the headline of this entry is accurate...that fans of the San Diego Chargers shouldn't show optimistim for the upcoming 2005-06 season. Why? Because not since the early '80's has a Charger team began a season as a 'power' and/or 'the team to beat'. Even after their Super Bowl appearance in 1995, it didn't take long after the following season to see that the team wasn't going to be a threat in the league and barely made the playoffs in '96. And let me conclude this thought with that I never put ANY credence into historical statistics...but just wanted to point this out that for all of my teen and adult life, the Chargers have, despite beginning a season with optimisim, typically have disappointed me...

By all appearances this upcoming Charger team should be one to reckon with...if last season wasn't a one season fluke for Brees, there should be little standing in the way from at least securing their second straight AFC West crown. Tomlinson was dinged up for several games last season and the rest of the team picked up the slack, but he should be back to full speed for next year. The defense looked muched improved and the secondary should be better as well. Antonio Gates is the BEST tight end in the NFL. Reche Caldwell was having a great year until a season ending injury took him out, if he can return where he left off along with McCardell and Parker the receiving corps looks good.

And really, I am very optimistic about next season, yet I do not want to get too carried away. It has been 10 years since Charger fans actually could be excited for the upcoming season. This time last season I was dreading the season and wondered how many jokes about my Chargers I would have to endure...

So now I try to temper my optimism...inside, I think to myself (as I see a Bronco jersey) "I can hardly await for Charger Domination." But as I discuss football with said Bronco fan I say "Oh, it should be good games...but I think we can take you this year!" I don't want to get too carried away because as we all know, it's easy to talk smack before the season even begins, but that smack talk will be quickly returned if it isn't backed up!

No comments: