Thursday, August 16, 2012

Chargers Preseaon Underway

Well, Chargerland (the land with delusional Charger fans) continues to prep for the upcoming Super Bowl parade that the San Diego Chargers will earn after this season.  This despite a minor set back in the starting runningback for the Chargers, Ryan Mathews, who broke his clavicle in the very first preseason game.  I'm not saying I am "right" as of right now, but I did mention how the only thing I knew about Mathews, to this point as a Charger, is that he gets hurt and fumbles and until he does something different I wasn't about to assume that the Chargers running game was going to be much improved from the last 2 seasons with Mathews fumbling and missing playing time with injuries.  Those in Chargerland had the Chargers run game being vastly improved with many stating that THIS year was going to be Mathews break out season....just like last season was suppose to be.

I continue to have low expectations for the Chargers this season...I continue to think 6-10, which is laughed at and ridiculed in Chargerland.  In Chargerland no one has dared to predict less than 10 wins next season...I am a Charger fan, yes, but also a realist.  I hope I am proven wrong and all any of us can do is wait and see...but even in Chargerland the Mathews injury did send a ripple of concern through the masses...but not to worry... Ronnie Brown is just as good, if not better, than any other runningback in the NFL - quote straight from Chargerland and that is why they think 10-6 is more than plausible in their world. 

Chargers play their second preseason game Saturday night against the Cowboys.  I've said it over and over and over again...that is, preseason doesn't matter.  We all know there are players that could and don't even play a single second of the preseason yet, they are able to compete at the highest level.  This is blatantly illustrated by the preseason itself when teams won't even play most of their starters at any point.  The point of preseason was to get your team ready for the regular season, I think with the season as long as it is, the preseason is just obsolete now.  Football junkies will likely say otherwise, but they are just so addicted to the game that they likely complain that replays of each team's scrimmages aren't readily available for them to watch.

I've been on vacation and the season is starting up so I hope to get some more posts up regarding the Chargers as the season continues.  My pal Darrick and I have a podcast in which we talk about the NFL in almost every episode and if you want to check that out, head over to the Drunken Logic Podcast and check that out.

No comments: