Thursday, June 02, 2011

Dick Ebersol Leaving NBC, Sports May Return To Network

I think I might be the only person in the USA that isn't sad to see Dick Ebersol leave NBC Sports.  In almost every article and interview with the guy praise is just heaped upon him... he is given numerous flattering titles and genius like qualities.  But not me.  I have never been a fan of Dick Ebersol because, to me, Ebersol essentially destroyed the NBC Sports that I loved and turned it into the NBC Sports of today, that I hate.

Dick Ebersol first rubbed me the wrong way when NBC gave up the NFL.  Bryant Gumbel and Bob Costas were two of my favorite NFL announcers, now without a sport.  And, if you fast forward to today, all Dick Ebersol has really accomplished for NBC, other than getting rid of all four of the major sports off of their airwaves, and Ebersol's claim to fame, the Olympics.  Well, for the most part, I think the Olympics suck and I especially think the network coverage of the Olympics suck.  What does a person get to watch on NBC during the Olympics?  Gymnastics ... every stinking night.  Sure they will throw some track and swimming in there but for "premiere" events always showcase gymnastics.  And of course there is the opening and closing ceremonies as well.  So, in my eyes, all Ebersol has done is create programming that resembles sports but appeals to mostly women.  Well good for him but it will not earn any praise from me.

No comments: